||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Markdown. (Discuss) Proposed since July 2016.|
Markdown Extra is a lightweight markup language based on Markdown implemented in PHP (originally), Python and Ruby. It adds features not available with plain Markdown syntax. Markdown Extra is supported in content management systems, for example Drupal, TYPO3 and MediaWiki.
It adds the following features to Markdown:
- Markdown inside HTML blocks
- Elements with id/class attribute
- Fenced code blocks
- Definition lists
- Markdown editor for BUEditor
- Markdown for TYPO3
- MarkdownExtraParser for MediaWiki
- PHP Markdown Extra - Tables
- PHP Markdown Extra official site, featuring PHP implementation and syntax reference.