Matsumae Castle (July 2004)
Location of Matsumae in
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
Matsumae (松前町 Matsumae-chō?) is a town located in Matsumae District, Oshima Subprefecture, Hokkaido, Japan. The former home of the Matsumae Han, it has an Edo period castle, Matsumae Castle, the only one in Hokkaido, and Ryūun-in.
The total area of the town is 293.11 square kilometres (113.17 sq mi).
As of September 2016, the town has an estimated population of 7,843 and a density of 26.7 persons per km².
- 1900 Fukuyama town was founded.
- 1940 Fukuyama changed its name to Matsumae.
- 1953 Matsumae Line opened.
- 1954 Matsumae town, Oshima village, Osawa village, and Kojima village were merged to form Matsumae town.
- 1988 Matsumae Line was abolished. 
- Hokkaido Matsumae High School (the southernmost high school in Hokkaido)
Media related to Matsumae, Hokkaidō at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website in Japanese