|Book||Gospel of Matthew|
|Christian Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Christian part||1|
Matthew 25, the twenty-fifth chapter of the Gospel of Matthew, continues the Olivet Discourse or "Little Apocalypse" spoken by Jesus Christ, also described as the Eschatological Discourse, which had started in chapter 24.
According to American theologian Jason Hood, writing in the Journal of Biblical Literature, chapters 23 to 25 of the Gospel of Matthew (the fifth discourse) "uniquely infuse Jesus' [...] teaching on discipleship, Christology, and judgment with the dramatic tension [...] throughout Matthew's plot".
Some early manuscripts containing the text of this chapter are:
- Papyrus 45 (~AD 250; extant verses 41–46)
- Papyrus 35 (3rd/4th century; extant verses 12–15, 20–23)
- Codex Vaticanus (325–350)
- Codex Sinaiticus (330–360)
- Codex Bezae (~400)
- Codex Washingtonianus (~400)
- Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (~450)
- Codex Purpureus Rossanensis (6th century)
- Codex Petropolitanus Purpureus (6th century; extant verses 7–34)
- Codex Sinopensis (6th century; extant verses 1–18)
- Papyrus 44 (6th/7th century; extant verses 8–10)
This chapter includes the parable of the ten virgins (verses 1-13) and the parable of the talents or minas (verses 14-30), both unique to Matthew, followed by notice of "the great and universal judgment at the end of this period", with its parabolic references to a separation of peoples "as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats" (verse 32). The final section (verses 31-46) is sometimes referred to as the "parable of the sheep and the goats".
- Jerusalem Bible (1966), sub-title for Matthew 24-25
- Carr, A., Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges: Matthew 24, accessed 10 October 2019
- Hood, Jason (2009). "Matthew 23-25: The Extent of Jesus' Fifth Discourse". Journal of Biblical Literature. 128 (3): 527–543.
- Dwight Jeffrey Bingham. "Irenaeus' Use of Matthew's Gospel in Adversus Haereses". Volume 7 of Traditio exegetica Graeca. Peeters Publishers, 1998 ISBN 9789068319644
- Alford, H. (1841-61), Greek Testament Critical Exegetical Commentary - Alford: Matthew 25, accessed 21 March 2021
- BBC Bitesize, Death and the afterlife: The Parable of the Sheep and Goats, accessed 21 March 2021
- Strain, Lauren (2009-10-06). "The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World to Come / Releases / Releases // Drowned In Sound". Drownedinsound.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- Matthew 25 King James Bible - Wikisource
- English Translation with Parallel Latin Vulgate
- Online Bible at GospelHall.org (ESV, KJV, Darby, American Standard Version, Bible in Basic English)
- Multiple bible versions at Bible Gateway (NKJV, NIV, NRSV etc.)
|Chapters of the New Testament
Gospel of Matthew