|Member of Parliament|
|Assumed office |
8 May 2015
|Preceded by||Duncan Hames|
|Born||8 April 1984|
Whitley, Cheshire, England
|Alma mater||University of York|
Michelle Emma May Elizabeth Donelan MP (born 8 April 1984) is a British Conservative Party politician. She was elected at the general election in May 2015 as the Member of Parliament (MP) for the Chippenham constituency in Wiltshire, which includes the market towns of Bradford on Avon, Chippenham, Corsham and Melksham, and the surrounding rural areas.
Originally from Cheshire, where her parents live at Whitley, Donelan came to attention when she spoke at a Conservative Party Conference aged fifteen. She studied for a degree in history and politics at the University of York and then stood for parliament at the 2010 general election in the safe Labour seat of Wentworth and Dearne, taking 7,396 votes (17.6%) to Labour MP John Healey's 21,316 (50.6%). She was then selected as the prospective parliamentary candidate for Chippenham in February 2013.
Before the election of 2015, Donelan's career outside politics was in marketing. After her selection at Chippenham, she became a Trustee of Help Victims of Domestic Violence, a charitable organisation based in the town and a member of the Steering Group of Wiltshire Carers. In 2013 she bought her first house, in the Chippenham town centre. Shortly before the result of her first election success was announced, she was reported to be "excited by the challenge ahead". She defeated incumbent Liberal Democrat member Duncan Hames with 26,354 votes (47.6%) to 16,278 (29.4%).
In July 2015, Donelan was elected (by fellow MPs) onto the Education Select Committee, where she became part of the Sub-Committee on Education, Skills and the Economy in November 2015.
In June 2017, Donelan was re-elected as Member of Parliament for Chippenham with 31,267 votes (54.7%) to the 14,637 votes (25.6%) for the Liberal Democrats, a majority of 16,630.
- "No. 61230". The London Gazette. 18 May 2015. p. 9126.
- "Michelle Donelan MP". myparliament.info. MyParliament. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Tories select Michelle Donelan as prospective parliamentary candidate for Chippenham". Bath Evening Chronicle. 4 March 2013.
- Donelan, Michelle. "About Michelle". Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Cork, Tristan (8 May 2015). "Conservative Michelle Donelan excited to be new Chippenham MP". Western Daily Press.
- "Election 2017: Chippenham parliamentary constituency". BBC news. 9 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Goodenough, Tom (16 February 2016). "Which Tory MPs back Brexit, who doesn't and who is still on the fence?". The Spectator. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament