|Country of origin||Soviet Union/ Russia|
N001 Mech (Russian: Меч, literally Sword) is a Russian (former USSR) all-weather multimode airborne radar developed by the Tikhomirov Scientific Research Institute of Instrument Design (NIIP) for the Su-27 multi-role combat aircraft.
The N001 radar for the Su-27 was designed by Viktor Grishin. Pushing the state of the art for the USSR, the original design, known as Mech, was supposed to draw heavily on technologies developed for the experimental Soyuz radar program led by NPO Istok. It was intended to have a great deal of commonality with the MiG-29's N019 Rubin radar. N001 has a 1.075m antenna diameter twist-cassegrain antenna. A pulse-doppler design operating in the 3 cm band utilising medium and high PRFs for optimum lookdown capability, the N001 has a search range of 80–100 km against a 3m2 m RCS target in a headon engagement, 140 km against a large bomber. It can track a 3m2 target at 65 km. In a pursuit engagement, search range for a 3m2 target falls to just 40 km. Azimuth limits are ±60. Initial units had a MTBF of only 5 hours, but later type is 100 hours; MTBF was eventually brought up to 200 hours. The Su-33 used an updated SUV-33 control system, the N001 radar was largely unchanged but with sea optimised lookdown capability and support for the carrier-based GCI system.
- N001 (RLPK-27)
- Standard model.
- N001V (RLPK-27V)
- Processor replaced TS101M capable of single target engagement and simultaneously tracking 10 targets during an engagement.
- N001VE (RLPK-27VE)
- Fitted to Chinese Su-30MKK. This will substantially improve air-to-air performance, and increase air-to-ground resolution. N001VE incorporated the moving target indication (MTI) and mapping capabilities, and capability to detect low flying or hovering helicopters. Processor replaced Baguet series BCVM-486-6, capable of simultaneously engaging two of ten targets tracked with semi-active radar homing air-to-air missiles and compatibility for R-77/RVV-AE. Tracking distance is extended up to 70 km.
- N001VEP (RLPK-27VEP)
- Processor replaced Baguet series 55-04.02, able to concurrently track 10 targets, and engage four air targets or two ground targets of the 10 tracked, and Detection range against fighter aircraft, 150 km detection range against bomber extended to 300 km. which gives R-77 compatibility.
- N001VEP's Twist cassegrain antenna replaced the new Pero passive phased array antenna, developed by NIIP and Ryazan GRPZ. The radar simultaneously engage 6 aerial targets, or 4 ground targets, and Extended up to 190 km detection range against fighter. Also called "Panda".
- Carlo, Kopp, (2008-04-03). "Flanker Radars in Beyond Visual Range Air Combat".
- Sukhoi Flankers. The Shifting Balance of Regional Air Power. Technical Report APA-TR-2007-0101 by Dr Carlo Kopp, 2007 - 2009