National Car Rental
Go National, go like a pro
|Founded||August 27, 1947|
|Headquarters||Clayton, Missouri, U.S.|
National Car Rental is an American rental car agency based in Clayton, Missouri, United States. National is owned by Enterprise Holdings, along with other agencies including Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and Alamo Rent a Car.
In 1995, National was owned by an investment group containing William Lobeck of Tulsa, Alvin Swanner of New Orleans, and Archer McWhorter of Houston. Lobeck was a former president of Chrysler's car rental unit and a former owner of Thrifty Rent A Car, a competitor of National. It was later sold in 1995 at an estimated price of $1 billion.
In 1996, National acquired the Canadian fleet and operations of Tilden Rent-a-Car.
In 1996, National was acquired by Republic Industries (later renamed AutoNation). AutoNation spun off its car rental properties as ANC Rental in 2000. ANC filed for bankruptcy a year later; its properties were sold to Vanguard Automotive Group (controlled by Cerberus Capital Management) in 2003. On August 1, 2007 Enterprise Rent-A-Car assumed control of Vanguard Automotive Group.
- Deutsch, Claudia H. (1987-10-11). "At Car Rental Companies, the Owners Come and Go". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- Bryant, Adam (1995-04-05). "G.M. Agrees To Sell Car Rental Unit". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- Bagli, Charles V. (1996-11-08). "In Alamo Deal, Republic Puts More Money On Used Cars". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Car Rental Spinoff By AutoNation Is Set". The New York Times. 2000-05-31. Retrieved 2016-09-11.
- Stieghorst, Tom (2003-08-07). "Judge Approves Sale Of Anc Assets". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- Thomas Jr., Landon (2007-03-31). "Enterprise Rent-a-Car Buys Vanguard, a Rival". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Car Rental.|