This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Montreal, Quebec City, Gatineau, Sherbrooke, Toronto, Waterloo, Hamilton, London, Guelph, Kingston, Ottawa, Edmonton, Halifax and Paris, France|
|Benoît Robert (Chairman and CEO)|
Number of employees
|Equivalent to 68 full-time|
Communauto is a company based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, that operates a carsharing service in seven cities in Ontario: Waterloo, Hamilton, London, Guelph, Kingston, Ottawa and Toronto - with their "Flex" service, four cities in Quebec: Montreal, Quebec City, Gatineau and Sherbrooke, in Edmonton, Halifax and in Paris, France. The company has partnerships with VRTUCAR in Ottawa and CarShare Atlantic in Halifax, which allows customers to access cars in any city. Communauto also acquired Mobizen, Paris carsharing company, in 2012. As of March 2018 it had 40,000 users who shared a fleet of approximately 2,000 vehicles, station-based and free-floating. The users-per-vehicle ratio can rise in winter to 20 users per vehicle and drops to about 15 users per vehicle in summer.
Founded in Quebec City in 1994 by Benoît Robert, its current CEO. Cycling advocate and environmentalist Claire Morissette (1950–2007) played a major role in its evolution starting in 1995, when Communauto established itself in Montreal as a private company. The company goal is to provide a convenient and economical alternative to owning a car.
The impact of carsharing in Quebec was evaluated in a study from Communauto and conducted by Tecsult Inc. in 2006.
- Carcasole, Mark (November 23, 2018). "Toronto's first free-floating car share ready to launch". Global News.
- "Good news: Communauto subscribers can now access the self-service vehicles of VRTUCAR in Ottawa!" (Press release). Communauto inc. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "CarShareHFX ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP WITH CARSHARING LEADER COMMUNAUTO FOR ITS SECOND ANNIVERSARY" (Press release). CNW Group Ltd. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "CarShareHFX becomes CarShare Atlantic and increases its fleet by 30%". May 3, 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Metro France – "Communauto, l’Autolib’ québécois" (FRENCH) Archived 2008-10-19 at the Wayback Machine
- "Pogo Carshare joins Communauto Group" (Press release).
- "CO2 emissions reduced by 168 000 tons per year thanks to car-sharing" (Press release). Archived from the original on 22 June 2014. Retrieved 29 April 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter