Naval Outlying Field Summerdale
USGS aerial image - 17 February 1997
|Location||Baldwin County, near Summerdale, Alabama|
|Elevation AMSL||149 ft / 45 m|
Naval Outlying Field Summerdale (ICAO: KNFD, FAA LID: NFD) is a military use airport located in Summerdale, a town in Baldwin County, Alabama, United States. It is under the operational control of NAS Whiting Field and is used for flying training.
NOLF Summerdale has three asphalt paved runways, each measuring 2,850 by 150 feet (869 x 46 m): Runway 4/22, Runway 10/28, and Runway 16/34. In 2010, officials from NAS Whiting Field announced plans to expand the runways for several NOLFs they operate (including NOLF Summerdale) to facilitate the use of the T-6 Texan II training aircraft, which is replacing the aging fleet of T-34 Mentors. But those plans have come under heavy opposition by some residents who are worried about losing homes and land in the process.
After NOLF Summerdale's flying activities were reduced for refurbishment, it officially "reopened" in March 2016 to resume more full-time training flight.
- FAA Airport Master Record for NFD ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 8 April 2010.
- http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/summerdale.htm | NOLF Summerdale
- "Naval Outlying Field Summerdale (FAA: NFD)". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- Navy expansion plans worry some Baldwin County residents
- Navy Outlying Field Summerdale Reopens
- Aerial photo as of 17 February 1997 from USGS The National Map
- Resources for this airport:
|This article about an airport in Alabama is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|