Newtown, Queensland (Toowoomba)
|Population||9,565 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,771/km2 (4,590/sq mi)|
|Area||5.4 km2 (2.1 sq mi)|
|Location||2 km (1 mi) W of Toowoomba|
|State electorate(s)||Toowoomba North|
The area was the first outside the city centre to be subdivided for residential purposes, in 1865. From 1913 to 1917, Newtown had its own local government, the Town of Newtown. It was officially named and bounded in 1981.
Newtown has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
The suburb contains the following schools:
- Newtown State School (1924)
- Toowoomba West Special School (1975)
- Clifford Park Special School (1990)
- Pure Land Learning College (Buddhist, 2001)
- Our Lady of Lourdes Primary School (Catholic primary, 1940)
- St. Mary's College (Catholic boys, 1899)
- St Ursula's College (Catholic girls, 1931)
- The Glennie School (Anglican girls, 1908)
- Holy Name Catholic Primary School (1901)
- Clifford Gardens Shopping Centre (Big W, Woolworths Supermarkets, Coles Supermarkets, Best & Less, Australia Post)
- Clifford Park Racecourse, home to the Toowoomba Turf Club, established in 1862.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Newtown (Toowoomba - QLD) (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Newtown (Toowoomba City) (entry 41684)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Elphin (entry 601326)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Oak Lodge and Spreydon (entry 601312)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Clifford Gardens. "Map of Clifford Gardens". Retrieved 23 January 2014.