|Traded as||MCX: NVTK
|Industry||Oil and gas|
|Alexander Y. Natalenko (Chairman)
Leonid Mikhelson (CEO)
|Revenue||RUB298.1 billion (2013)|
|RUB88.525 billion (2013) |
|RUB79.8 billion (2013) |
Number of employees
Novatek (Russian: ОАО «НОВАТЭК», MCX: NVTK, LSE: NVTK) is Russia's largest independent natural gas producer, and the seventh largest publicly traded company globally by natural gas production volume. The company was originally known as OAO FIK Novafininvest. Novatek is based in the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Region in West Siberia, and maintains a sales office in Moscow.
The major gas field owned by Novatek is the Yurkharovskoye field. On 27 May 2009, Novatek bought a 51% stake in Yamal LNG from Volga Resources, which controls the giant South-Tambeyskoye field. On 2 July 2010, Novatek purchased Tambeyneftegas, which holds the licence to the Arctic Malo-Yamalskoye field, located on the Yamal Peninsula and holding 161 billion cubic metres (5.7 trillion cubic feet) of natural gas and 14.4 million tonnes of gas condensate. Novatek and Gazprom plan to build a liquefied natural gas plant in Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug. Total S.A. will also be involved as a 20% shareholder. Together with Total S.A., Novatek is developing the Termokarstovoye field in Yamal.
In December 2010, Novatek bought a 51% stake in Sibneftegaz from Gazprombank (Itera owns 49% of the shares). Sibneftegaz holds licences for exploration and production in the Yamal-Nenets region, including for the Beregovoye field, Pyreinoye field, Zapadno-Zapolyarnoye field, and the Khadyryakhinskiy licence area. Sibneftegaz owns rights to develop oil and gas condensate fields with a total resource of 395.53 bcm of natural gas and 8.44 million tonnes of gas condensate.
In addition, Novatek has acquired the following companies:
- SNP Nova - pipeline construction
- Purneftegasgeologiya - natural gas
- Tarkosaleneftegas - natural gas
- Khancheyneftegas - natural gas
- Yurkharovneftegas - natural gas
Novatek is a public company with shares traded on the London and Moscow stock exchanges. The major shareholders of Novatek are Leonid Michelson, the CEO, with around 28% of the shares, Volga Group with 23% of shares, Total SA with 16% and Gazprom with 9.4%.
US Restrictions on Long-term Debt Financing to Russian Energy Companies
In July 2014, the US Government announced sanctions targeting the Russian energy sector in retaliation to the Kremlin's annexation of Crimea. These sanctions target the provision of long-term (over 90 days) debt financing denominated in USD offered to companies with the Russian Energy Sector. Despite being a publicly traded company and having no operations or interest in Ukraine, the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) chose to include Novatek in an effort to harm the overall Russian economy.
- "Novatek 2013 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "Novatek boosts flow from Arctic field". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2009-10-19. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Zhdannikov, Dmitry (2009-05-27). "Russian oil trade king buys more gas assets". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Bachman, Jessica (2010-07-02). "Russia's Novatek acquires new arctic field". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Pitt, Anthea (2010-06-21). "Russian duo team up in Yamal". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Total to buy Novatek stake for $4bn". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2011-03-02. (subscription required). Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- "Putin nod for Total-Novatek plan". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2009-06-24. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Novatek offers Sibneftegaz buyback". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2011-01-21. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- Begum, Aleya (2010-12-17). "Novatek seals Sibneftegaz stake". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- Soldatkin, Vladimir (2010-11-16). "Russia's Novatek to pay $900 mln for Sibneftegaz". Reuters. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Novatek wins new Yamal licences". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- "Construction of Sabetta port to start this summer". Barents Observer. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Paxton, Robin (2010-03-05). "Timchenko's fund becomes largest Novatek owner". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Novatek sale 'below market price'". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2011-02-10. (subscription required). Retrieved 2011-02-15.