Perry Mason (miniseries)
|Based on||Perry Mason|
by Erle Stanley Gardner
|Directed by||Tim Van Patten|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production company(s)||Team Downey|
Perry Mason is an upcoming American drama television miniseries, based on the Perry Mason series of short stories and novels written by Erle Stanley Gardner, that is set to premiere on HBO. The series is being written by Rolin Jones and Ron Fitzgerald and is set to star Matthew Rhys in the title role.
Perry Mason takes place in "1932 Los Angeles. While the rest of the country recovers from the Great Depression, this city is booming! Oil! Olympic Games! Talking Pictures! Evangelical Fervor! And a child kidnapping gone very, very wrong! Based on characters created by Erle Stanley Gardner, the limited series follows the origins of American Fiction's most legendary criminal defense lawyer, Perry Mason. When the case of the decade breaks down his door, Mason’s relentless pursuit of the truth reveals a fractured city and just maybe, a pathway to redemption for himself."
Cast and characters
- Matthew Rhys as Perry Mason
- Tatiana Maslany as Sister Alice
- John Lithgow as Elias Birchard “E.B.” Jonathan
- Chris Chalk as Paul Drake
- Shea Whigham as Pete Strickland
- Juliet Rylance as Della Street
- Nate Corddry as Matthew Dodson
- Veronica Falcon as Lupe
- Jefferson Mays as Virgil
- Gayle Rankin as Emily Dodson
- Lili Taylor as Birdy McKeegan
- Andrew Howard as Detective Ennis
- Eric Lange as Detective Holcomb
- Robert Patrick as Herman Baggerly
- Stephen Root as Maynard Barnes
On August 15, 2016, it was reported that HBO was developing a drama series based on the Perry Mason stories written by Erle Stanley Gardner. The production was expected to be written by Nic Pizzolatto who was also set to executive produce alongside Robert Downey Jr. and Joe Horacek. Production companies involved with the series were slated to consist of Team Downey. On August 25, 2017, it was announced that Pizzolatto had dropped out of the production in order to focus on the third season of True Detective and that he was being replaced as the project's writer by Rolin Jones and Ron Fitzgerald.
On January 14, 2019, it was announced that HBO had given the production a series order. It was further announced that Jones, Fitzgerald, Susan Downey, and Amanda Burrell would serve as additional executive producers, that Matthew Rhys would serve as a producer, and that the production was currently in the process of hiring a director. Jones and Fitzgerald were also expected to serve as showrunners for the series as well. In March, Tim Van Patten was set to direct the series, in addition to serving as an executive producer.
Alongside the initial development announcement, it was confirmed that Robert Downey Jr. would star as the titular Perry Mason. On July 25, 2018, it was reported that Downey Jr. had dropped out of the role due to his feature film schedule and that a search for his replacement was ongoing. On January 14, 2019, it was announced that Matthew Rhys had been cast to replace Downey Jr. Tatiana Maslany joined in April. John Lithgow was added to the cast in May. In June, Chris Chalk and Shea Whigham were cast in lead roles, with Nate Corddry, Veronica Falcon, Jefferson Mays, Gayle Rankin and Lili Taylor set in recurring roles. Juliet Rylance, Andrew Howard, Eric Lange, Robert Patrick and Stephen Root joined in July.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (January 14, 2019). "Matthew Rhys To Star In Title Role Of HBO's 'Perry Mason' Limited Series From Team Downey". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 15, 2016). "HBO Eyes Series From Robert Downey Jr. & 'True Detective' Creator Nic Pizzolatto". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 25, 2017). "Perry Mason HBO Drama Project Starring Robert Downey Jr. Sets New Writers". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (March 22, 2019). "HBO's 'Perry Mason' Limited Series Gets Green Light With Tim Van Patten Directing". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 25, 2018). "HBO's Perry Mason Reboot Looking For New Actor For the Lead, Robert Downey Jr. Remains Executive Producer". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (April 12, 2019). "Tatiana Maslany To Star In HBO's 'Perry Mason' Limited Series From Team Downey". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (May 7, 2019). "John Lithgow To Star In HBO's 'Perry Mason' Limited Series From Team Downey". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- ‘Perry Mason’: Chris Chalk, Shea Whigham, Nate Corddry Among Seven Cast In HBO Limited Series
- ‘Perry Mason’: Juliet Rylance, Andrew Howard, Eric Lange, Robert Patrick & Stephen Root Join HBO Limited Series