Phenolic acids or phenolcarboxylic acids are types of aromatic acid compound. Included in that class are substances containing a phenolic ring and an organic carboxylic acid function (C6-C1 skeleton). There are several categories of phenolic acids including:
- Monohydroxybenzoic acids: salicylic acid, 3-Hydroxybenzoic acid, 4-Hydroxybenzoic acid
- Dihydroxybenzoic acids: vanillin, vanillic acid, gentisic acid, protocatechuic acid
- Trihydroxybenzoic acids: gallic acid, ellagic acid, syringic acid, eudesmic acid, phloroglucinol carboxylic acid
Phenolic acids can be found in many plant species. Their content in dried fruits can be high.
Natural phenols in horse grams (Macrotyloma uniflorum) are mostly phenolic acids, namely 3,4-dihydroxy benzoic, p-hydroxy benzoic, vanillic, caffeic, p-coumaric, ferulic, syringic and sinapinic acids.
- Identification and quantification of phenolic acids in Macrotyloma uniflorum by reversed phase HPLC. Kawsar, S.M.A., E. Huq, N. Nahar and Y. Ozeki, Am. J. Plant Physiol., 3: 165-172, 2008, doi:10.3923/ajpp.2008.165.172
- Barros, L.; Dueñas, M.; Ferreira, I. C.; Baptista, P.; Santos-Buelga, C. (June 2009). "Phenolic acids determination by HPLC–DAD–ESI/MS in sixteen different Portuguese wild mushrooms species". Food and Chemical Toxicology 47 (6): 1076–1079. doi:10.1016/j.fct.2009.01.039. PMID 19425182.
- Armstrong, M. D.; Shaw, K. N.; Wall, P. E. (January 1, 1956). "The phenolic acids of human urine. Paper chromatography of phenolic acids" (pdf). The Journal of Biological Chemistry 218: 293–303. PMID 13278337.
- Direct acylation of flavonoid glycosides with phenolic acids catalysed by Candida antarctica lipase B (Novozym 435®). David E. Stevenson, Reginald Wibisono, Dwayne J. Jensen, Roger A. Stanley and Janine M. Cooney, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 3 October 2006, Volume 39, Issue 6, Pages 1236–1241, doi:10.1016/j.enzmictec.2006.03.006