Phenolic acids or phenolcarboxylic acids are types of aromatic acid compound. Included in that class are substances containing a phenolic ring and an organic carboxylic acid function (C6-C1 skeleton). Two important naturally occurring types of phenolic acids are hydroxybenzoic acids and hydroxycinnamic acids, which are derived from non-phenolic molecules of benzoic and cinnamic acid, respectively.
Phenolic acids can be found in many plant species. Their content in dried fruits can be high.
Natural phenols in horse grams (Macrotyloma uniflorum) are mostly phenolic acids, namely 3,4-dihydroxy benzoic, p-hydroxy benzoic, vanillic, caffeic, p-coumaric, ferulic, syringic and sinapinic acids.
- Heleno, Sandrina A.; Martins, Anabela; Queiroz, Maria João R. P.; Ferreira, Isabel C. F. R. (2015-04-15). "Bioactivity of phenolic acids: metabolites versus parent compounds: a review". Food Chemistry. 173: 501–513. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.10.057. ISSN 0308-8146. PMID 25466052.
- Kawsar, S.M.A.; Huq, E.; Nahar, N.; Ozeki, Y. (2008). "Identification and Quantification of Phenolic Acids in Macrotyloma uniflorum by Reversed Phase-HPLC". American Journal of Plant Physiology. 3 (4): 165. doi:10.3923/ajpp.2008.165.172.
- Barros, L.; Dueñas, M.; Ferreira, I. C.; Baptista, P.; Santos-Buelga, C. (June 2009). "Phenolic acids determination by HPLC–DAD–ESI/MS in sixteen different Portuguese wild mushrooms species". Food and Chemical Toxicology. 47 (6): 1076–1079. doi:10.1016/j.fct.2009.01.039. PMID 19425182.
- Armstrong, M. D.; Shaw, K. N.; Wall, P. E. (January 1, 1956). "The phenolic acids of human urine. Paper chromatography of phenolic acids" (pdf). The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 218 (1): 293–303. PMID 13278337.
- Direct acylation of flavonoid glycosides with phenolic acids catalysed by Candida antarctica lipase B (Novozym 435®). David E. Stevenson, Reginald Wibisono, Dwayne J. Jensen, Roger A. Stanley and Janine M. Cooney, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 3 October 2006, Volume 39, Issue 6, Pages 1236–1241, doi:10.1016/j.enzmictec.2006.03.006