|City and Commune|
View of Pirque
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Cristián Balmaceda Undurraga (RN)|
|• Total||445.3 km2 (171.9 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||37/km2 (96/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of Pirque|
Pirque (PEER-ke) is a commune of Chile in Cordillera Province, Santiago Metropolitan Region; it is located 2.8 kilometers SE of Puente Alto and 21.3 kilometers SSE of the center of Santiago. It is situated in a mountain chain.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Pirque spans an area of 445.3 km2 (172 sq mi) and has 16,565 inhabitants (8,384 men and 8,181 women). Of these, 9,651 (58.3%) lived in urban areas and 6,914 (41.7%) in rural areas. The population grew by 45.7% (5,197 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
- Population: 20,518 (2006 projection)
- Average annual household income: US$21,537 (PPP, 2006)[dead link]
- Population below poverty line: 9.1% (2006)
As a commune, Pirque is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Cristian Balmaceda Undurraga (RN). The communal council has the following members:
- Carlos Miranda Dinamarca (IND)
- Hilda Espinoza Cavieres (IND)
- Patricio Domínguez Warrington (PS)
- Lorena Berrios Gonzalez (RN)
- Pablo Ulloa Riquelme (IND)
- María Mujica Vizcaya (IND)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Pirque is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Mr. Osvaldo Andrade (PS) and Mr. Leopoldo Pérez (RN) as part of the 29th electoral district, (together with Puente Alto, San José de Maipo and La Pintana). The commune is represented in the Senate by Soledad Alvear Valenzuela (PDC) and Ena Von Baer (UDI) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish).
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org.
- Sistema de Información Regional, Ministry of Planning of Chile.[dead link]
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- Portal Pirque: Community website Pirque