Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
|Pokémon Mystery Dungeon:
Gates to Infinity
North American box art
|Publisher(s)||The Pokémon Company|
|Series||Pokémon Mystery Dungeon|
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (ポケモン不思議のダンジョン マグナゲートと∞迷宮 Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Magnagate to Mugendai Meikyū, lit. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth) is a role-playing game in the Pokémon franchise developed by Spike Chunsoft, published by The Pokémon Company and distributed by Nintendo for the Nintendo 3DS. It is the ninth installment in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series, and was released in Japan on November 23, 2012, in North America on March 24, 2013, in Europe on May 17, 2013 and in Australia on May 18, 2013.
The game features Unova Pokémon heavily, with Pikachu, Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy and Axew being the starters of the game. The game has a 3D art style and makes use of the 3DS' capabilities. Instead of the usual 2D sprites, the game utilizes more complex 3D models, and also uses the 3DS' camera and sensors for the players to find round objects and turn them into portals. The portals, called Magnagates (hence the title of the game) need to be unlocked, and act as gateways to new dungeons. The game also features "augmented reality options;" by scanning objects in the "real world" additional dungeons may be unlocked. The game features both free and paid downloadable content, in the form of additional dungeons.
Similar to the older Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, the games starts with the player having a weird dream and waking as a Pokémon. The game's hub area is titled Pokémon Paradise and contains many Pokémon providing services built by the player.
Gates to Infinity received mixed reviews. IGN rated the game 4.5/10, stating "Gates to Infinity fails as both a Pokémon and a Mystery Dungeon game, and reaching its meatiest content requires playing through hours and hours of tedium. Its deep supplementary features can't overcome the fact that its moment-to-moment play feels so watered down as to be completely pointless," and summing it up as "bad." GameSpot also reviewed the game negatively, commenting "it's as cute as a button, but dull, simplistic dungeon exploration drags Gates to Infinity into mediocrity," and scored it a 5/10. GamesRadar stated that there are "moments of fun to be had with the game, particularly when the narrative hits its stride, but with little variety in the quests you’ll be taking on, and no real depth to the combat, the experience grows old very quickly, making it a difficult recommendation," and gave the game 2.5 stars out of 5. EGM scored the game a 3.5/10, and Destructoid 8/10.
- Caruana, Christine. "3DS News: Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon returns to the 3DS". CVG - computerandvideogames.com. Archived from the original on 16 September 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Ishaan. "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 3DS Has A New Trailer And A European Release Date". SiliconEra. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Spencer. "3DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Set For November Release". SiliconEra. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "NINTENDO AUSTRALIA ANNOUNCE THE RELEASE DATE FOR SEVERAL HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED NINTENDO 3DS GAMES". Nintendo Australia. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- Jackson, Mike. "3DS News: First Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 3DS trailer released". CVG - computerandvideogames.com. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Martin, Liam. "'Pokémon Mystery Dungeon' sequel announced for 3DS". Digital Spy. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Lucas M. Thomas. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3DS Announced". IGN. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Water Pokémon Master. "New 3DS Game – 'Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth'". PokeBeach. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Rose, Mike. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for Nintendo 3DS debuting in Japan this winter". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Ishaan. "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 3DS Story Deals With Lugia, Ho-oh And Kyurem". SiliconEra. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity". GameRankings. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity". Metacritic. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Camron, Marc. "EGM Review: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity". EGM. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Neltz, András. "Six Critics Clash Over Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity". Kotaku. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1249".
- Kemps, Heidi. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity Review". GameSpot. Archived from the original on 7 April 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Knezevic, Kevin. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity review". GamesRadar. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Monster Hunter Tri Review - Wii Review at IGN
- Parish, Jeremy. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity Review". IGN. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Handrahan, Matthew (28 January 2013). "Pokemon tops 2012 software chart in Japan". GamesIndustry. Gamer Network. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Makuch, Eddie (12 September 2013). "Pikmin 3 US sales reach 115,000 units". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 4 October 2013.