Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
|Pokémon Mystery Dungeon:
Gates to Infinity
North American box art
|Publisher(s)||The Pokémon Company|
|Series||Pokémon Mystery Dungeon|
|Genre(s)||Dungeon crawl, roguelike, tactical RPG|
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (ポケモン不思議のダンジョン マグナゲートと∞迷宮 Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Magnagate to Mugendai Meikyū?) is a role-playing game in the Pokémon franchise developed by Spike Chunsoft and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 3DS. The ninth installment in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series, it was released in Japan on November 23, 2012, in North America on March 24, 2013, in Europe on May 17, 2013 and in Australia on May 18, 2013.
The game features Unova Pokémon heavily, with Pikachu, Oshawott, S. Tepig, Snivy and Axew being the starters of the game. The game has a 3D art style and makes use of the 3DS' capabilities. Instead of the usual 2D sprites, the game utilizes more complex 3D models, and also uses the 3DS' camera and sensors for the players to find round objects and turn them into portals. The portals, called Magnagates (hence the title of the game) need to be unlocked, and act as gateways to new dungeons. The game also features "augmented reality options;" by scanning objects in the "real world" additional dungeons may be unlocked. The game features both free and paid downloadable content, in the form of additional dungeons.
Similar to the older Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, the games starts with the player having a weird dream and waking as a Pokémon. The game's hub area is titled Pokémon Paradise and contains many Pokémon providing services built by the player.
Gates to Infinity received mixed to poor reception from critics. IGN rated the game 4.5/10, stating "Gates to Infinity fails as both a Pokémon and a Mystery Dungeon game, and reaching its meatiest content requires playing through hours and hours of tedium. Its deep supplementary features can't overcome the fact that its moment-to-moment play feels so watered down as to be completely pointless," and summing it up as "bad." GameSpot also reviewed the game negatively, commenting "it's as cute as a button, but dull, simplistic dungeon exploration drags Gates to Infinity into mediocrity," and scored it a 5/10. GamesRadar stated that there are "moments of fun to be had with the game, particularly when the narrative hits its stride, but with little variety in the quests you’ll be taking on, and no real depth to the combat, the experience grows old very quickly, making it a difficult recommendation," and gave the game 2.5 stars out of 5. EGM scored the game a 3.5/10, and Destructoid 8/10.
- Caruana, Christine. "3DS News: Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon returns to the 3DS". CVG - computerandvideogames.com. Retrieved September 2012.
- Spencer. "3DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Set For November Release". SiliconEra. Retrieved October 2012.
- Ishaan. "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 3DS Has A New Trailer And A European Release Date". SiliconEra. Retrieved February 2013.
- "NINTENDO AUSTRALIA ANNOUNCE THE RELEASE DATE FOR SEVERAL HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED NINTENDO 3DS GAMES". Nintendo Australia. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- Jackson, Mike. "3DS News: First Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 3DS trailer released". CVG - computerandvideogames.com. Retrieved September 2012.
- Martin, Liam. "'Pokémon Mystery Dungeon' sequel announced for 3DS". Digital Spy. Retrieved September 2012.
- Lucas M. Thomas. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3DS Announced". IGN. Retrieved September 2012.
- Water Pokémon Master. "New 3DS Game – ‘Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth’". PokeBeach. Retrieved September 2012.
- Rose, Mike. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for Nintendo 3DS debuting in Japan this winter". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved September 2012.
- Ishaan. "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 3DS Story Deals With Lugia, Ho-oh And Kyurem". SiliconEra. Retrieved October 2012.
- "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity". GameRankings. Retrieved September 2013.
- "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity". Metacritic. Retrieved September 2013.
- Camron, Marc. "EGM Review: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity". EGM. Retrieved April 2013.
- Neltz, András. "Six Critics Clash Over Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity". Kotaku. Retrieved April 2013.
- "Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1249".
- Kemps, Heidi. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity Review". GameSpot. Retrieved April 2013.
- Knezevic, Kevin. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity review". GamesRadar. Retrieved April 2013.
- Monster Hunter Tri Review - Wii Review at IGN
- Parish, Jeremy. "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity Review". IGN. Retrieved April 2013.
- Handrahan, Matthew (28 January 2013). "Pokemon tops 2012 software chart in Japan". GamesIndustry. Gamer Network. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Makuch, Eddie (12 September 2013). "Pikmin 3 US sales reach 115,000 units". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 4 October 2013.