|Corruption by country|
A political scandal is an action or event regarded as morally or legally wrong and causing general public outrage. Politicians, government officials, party officials, lobbyists can be accused of various illegal, corrupt, or unethical practices. A political scandal can involve the breaking of the nation's laws or moral codes and may involve sexual scandal.
Scandal sells, and broadsides, pamphlets, newspapers, magazines and the electronic media have covered it in depth. The Muckraker movement in American journalism was a component of the Progressive Era in the U.S. in the early 20th century. Journalists have built their careers on exposure of corruption and political scandal, often acting on behalf of the opposition party.
There are numerous contextual factors that make a scandal noteworthy, such as the importance of the people and the depth of conspiracy, as well as the coverup strategies of policymakers.
The political ideology of media owners plays a role—they prefer to target the opposition but will reluctantly cover their own side. Journalists have to frame the story in terms of the audience's values and expectations to maximize the impact.
Lists of political scandals by country
- All pages with titles containing Political scandals
- Albania – Political scandals of Albania
- Australia – List of Australian political controversies
- Belgium – Belgian political scandals
- Canada – List of Canadian political scandals
- Chile – Chilean political scandals
- Colombia – Colombian parapolitics scandal
- France – French political scandals
- Germany – German political scandals
- Iceland – Icelandic political scandals
- India – Indian political scandals
- Ireland – Irish political scandals
- Italy – Italian political scandals
- Japan – Black Mist Scandal (Japanese politics)
- Lithuania – Generic article on corruption in Lithuania
- New Zealand – List of political scandals in New Zealand
- Philippines – List of political scandals in the Philippines
- Poland - List of political scandals in Poland
- Slovakia – List of Slovak political scandals
- Slovenia – 1975 Zaliv Scandal
- United Kingdom – List of political scandals in the United Kingdom
- United States – List of federal political scandals in the United States
- Ukraine – List of political scandals in Ukraine
- King, 1984
- Achter, P. J. (2000). "Narrative, intertextuality, and apologia in contemporary political scandals. Southern Journal of Communication, 65(4), 318–333.
- Foster, C., Thrasher, J., Kim, S-H., Rose, I., Besley, J., & Navarro, A. (2012). "Agenda-building influences on the news media's coverage of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's push to regulate tobacco, 1993–2009," Journal of Health and Human Services Administration 35(3), 303–330.
- Puglisi, R., & Snyder, J. M. Jr. (2011). "Newspaper Coverage of Political Scandals," Journal of Politics 73(3), 1–20.
- Thompson, J. B. (1997). "Scandal and social theory" in J. Lull & S. Hinerman (Eds.), Media scandals: Morality and desire in the popular culture marketplace pp. 34–64). (Cambridge, England: Polity Press).
- Yioutas, J., & Segvic, I. (2003). "Revisiting the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal: The convergence of agenda setting and framing." Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly 80(3), 567–582.
- Canel, Maria Jose and Karen Sanders. Morality Tales: Political Scandals and Journalism in Britain and Spain in the 1990s (2005)
- Dagnes, Alison and Mark Sachleben. "Scandal! An Interdisciplinary Approach to the Consequences, Outcomes, and Significance of Political Scandals" (Bloomsbury 2013)
- Fisher, Trevor. Scandal: Sexual Politics of Late Victorian Britain (1995)
- Giroux, Gary. Business Scandals, Corruption, and Reform: An Encyclopedia (2013)
- Grossman, Mark. Political Corruption in America: An Encyclopedia of Scandals, Power, and Greed (2008)
- Heidenheimer, Arnold and M. Johnston. Political corruption: Concepts and contexts (2002)
- King, Anthony. Sex, Money and Power: Political Scandals in Great Britain and the United States (1984)
- Kohn, George C. The New Encyclopedia of American Scandal (2000)
- MacMullen, Ramsay. Corruption and the Decline of Rome (1990)
- Scott, James C. Comparative political corruption (1972)
- Temple, Kathryn. Scandal Nation: Law and Authorship in Britain, 1750–1832 (2002)
- Media related to Political scandals at Wikimedia Commons