List of political scandals in the Philippines
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
- Stonehill controversy - involving American businessman Harry Stonehill with a $50-million business empire in the Philippines.
- Jabidah massacre, 1968 - the murder of 28 Moro Muslims, who were clandestinely being trained on the island of Corregidor to instigate a rebellion in Sabah, Malaysia.
- Dovie Beams Tapes Scandal, 1970 - sex scandal involving Pres. Ferdinand Marcos
- Rolex 12, 1972 - controversy involving Pres. Ferdinand Marcos' favoring certain Generals to propagate his terms of office.
- Coco Levy Fund Scam
- Manila Film Center Accident and cover up.
- Bataan Nuclear Power Plant bribery and graft case.
- Imelda Marcos' shoe collection
- Marcos scandals
- Operation Big Bird, 1986 - the bungled plan of the Philippine Government to retrieve the alleged ill-gotten wealth of the Marcoses in Swiss banks.
- Mayor Antonio Sanchez case, 1993 - involving the mayor of Calauan, Laguna in the rape of Eileen Sarmenta, a UP Los Baños student, and the murder of Sarmenta’s boyfriend, Allan Gomez.
- PEA Amari Scam
- Subic Bay Leadership Dispute, 1998 - Pres. Joseph Estrada's Executive Order No. 1 orders the removal of Richard Gordon as Chairman of the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA), and replaces him with Felicito Payumo.
- Textbook Scam & Nepotism - Pres. Estrada appoints relatives to government positions, and intervenes in their behalf.
- Hot Cars Scandal - Pres. Estrada assigns seized vehicles by the Bureau of Customs to his Cabinet secretaries and favored political allies.
- BW Resources scandal - Pres. Estrada and associates profit from an alleged stock manipulation scheme.
- Estrada Midnight Cabinet - Chief of Staff Aprodicio Laquian jests in a press conference that he is the only one sober during the President's "Midnight Cabinet," drinking and gambling sessions in Malacañan Palace.
- Juetengate, 2000 - Chavit Singson exposé on Pres. Joseph Estrada receiving jueteng payoffs and bribes. This led to the impeachment of Estrada and eventual downfall.
- Hello Garci scandal, 2004 - scandal involving Pres. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on committing electoral fraud during the 2004 National Elections.
- Fertilizer Fund scam, 2004 - controversy involving accusations that Agriculture Undersecretary Jocelyn Bolante diverted PhP 728 million in fertilizer funds to the 2004 election campaign of President Arroyo.
- GSIS-Meralco bribery case, 2008
- Philippine National Broadband Network controversy, 2008 - (also referred to as the NBN/ZTE deal or NBN/ZTE mess) involved allegations of corruption in the awarding of a US$329 million construction contract to Chinese telecommunications firm ZTE for the proposed government-managed National Broadband Network (NBN).
- Euro Generals scandal, 2008 - involves Eliseo de la Paz and several Philippine National Police officials who went to Russia on October 2008 to attend the Interpol conference. De la Paz was detained for carrying a large sum of undeclared money.
- Pimentel III vs. Zubiri Senate Electoral Protest, 2008
- 2009 National Artist Controversy, 2009 - controversial proclamation as National Artists of the Philippines of four individuals via the Presidential prerogative of Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, when the four have not been nominated by the selection committee, composed of representatives from National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) and the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP).
- Priority Development Assistance Fund scam, 2013 - involving businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles and several other linked politicians.
- New Bilibid Prison drug trafficking scandal, 2016 - involving former Justice Secretary, now Senator Leila de Lima and several other government officials linked to illegal drug trade at the New Bilibid Prison.