This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Revised Romanization||Pyeongseong-si|
|Administrative divisions||20 tong, 14 ri|
P'yŏngsŏng (평성, Korean pronunciation: [pʰjʌŋ.sʌŋ]) is a city in North Korea, the capital city of South P'yŏngan province in western North Korea. The city is located about 32 kilometres northeast of P'yŏngyang, and was formally established in December 1969. It has a population of 284,386.
Due to location and good transport, P'yŏngsŏng-si is the location of many wholesale businesses importing products from China.
Having been initially established with the idea of functioning as a center for North Korea's science and technology sectors, Pyongsong-si is the location of several colleges, universities, and research center:
- Pyongsong University of Science - reputed to include a nuclear physics department, the researchers of which contribute to North Korea's nuclear program. The department runs the Atomic Energy Research Institute.
- Pyongsong University of Medicine (functions as South Pyongan province's regional medical training institute)
- Space Science Research Institute
- Central Bureau of Statistics, Pyongyang, DPR Korea; 2008 Population Census, National Report (pdf-fil) Läst 17 januari 2010.
- James Pearson, Ju-min Park (4 June 2015). "Pyongyang Bling: The rise of North Korea's consumer comrades". Reuters. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Agreement signed between DPRK and Bulgaria". KCNA. 10 February 2000. Archived from the original on 8 September 2017. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Dormels, Rainer. North Korea's Cities: Industrial facilities, internal structures and typification. Jimoondang, 2014. ISBN 978-89-6297-167-5
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pyongsong.|
Largest cities or towns in North Korea
|Rank||Name||Administrative division||Pop.||Rank||Name||Administrative division||Pop.|
|1||Pyongyang||Pyongyang Capital City||3,255,288||11||Sunchon||South Pyongan||297,317|
|2||Hamhung||South Hamgyong||768,551||12||Pyongsong||South Pyongan||284,386|
|3||Chongjin||North Hamgyong||667,929||13||Haeju||South Hwanghae||273,300|
|4||Nampo||South Pyongan Province||366,815||14||Kanggye||Chagang||251,971|
|6||Sinuiju||North Pyongan||359,341||16||Tokchon||South Pyongan||237,133|
|7||Tanchon||South Hamgyong||345,875||17||Kimchaek||North Hamgyong||207,299|
|8||Kaechon||South Pyongan||319,554||18||Rason||Rason Special Economic Zone||196,954|
|9||Kaesong||North Hwanghae||308,440||19||Kusong||North Pyongan||196,515|