Ravish Kumar at Ramnath Goenka Award in 2017
|Alma mater||University of Delhi|
Indian Institute of Mass Communication
|Occupation||Journalist with NDTV India|
Ravish Kumar (born 5 December 1974) is an Indian journalist, author and media personality. He is the Managing Editor of NDTV India, the Hindi news channel of the NDTV news network and hosts a number of programs including the channel's flagship weekday show Prime Time, Hum Log,Ravish Ki Report and Desh Ki Baat.
He is the author of the book The Free Voice - On Democracy, Culture and The Nation.
Early life and education
Ravish Kumar was born in Motihari, Bihar on 5 December 1974. He obtained his high school education from Loyola High School (Patna). Later he moved to Delhi for higher studies. He was graduated from Deshbandhu College, affiliated to the University of Delhi. Eventually he enrolled in post-graduate diploma in Hindi Journalism from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication.
Awards & Accolades
Kumar has been conferred with various awards for his work in journalism with Ramon Magsaysay Award (2019) being the most prestigious one. He is two times recipient of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award (2017,2013) for broadcast category in Hindi language. The list continues with Gauri Lankesh Award for Journalism, first Kuldip Nayar journalism award (2017), Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Award for Hindi Journalism and Creative Literature(for 2010,awarded in 2014). He was included in the list of 100 most influential Indian(2016) by The Indian Express and also named journalist of the year by Mumbai Press Club.
Ravish Kumar is married to Nayana Dasgupta who teaches History at the Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi. He has two daughters. He has also received death threats in the past for his journalism.
- The Free Voice: On Democracy, Culture and the Nation
- Bolna Hi Hai : Loktantra, Sanskriti Aur Rashtra Ke Bare Mein (in Hindi)
- Ishq Mein Shahar Hona (in Hindi)
- Dekhate Rahiye (in Hindi)
- Ravishpanti (in Hindi)
- "NDTV - The Company". NDTV. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "NDTV.com". www.ndtv.com. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Ravish Ki Report
- "Des Ki Baat". NDTV. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- "Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards: Full list of winners". The Indian Express. 22 December 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- "Gauri Lankesh award".
- "President Pranab Mukherjee honours 28 persons for contribution towards Hindi language". The Economic Times. 27 August 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- "Kuldip Nayar journalism awards: First winner Ravish Kumar says journalists 'have to rise above flattery of establishment'". The Indian Express. 21 March 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- "Indian express power list 2016".
- Joshi, Namrata (12 October 2015). "The Peace Maker". Outlook.
- "NDTV के पत्रकार रवीश कुमार को दी जा रही है जान से मारने की धमकी". Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "RAVISH KUMAR DEATH THREATS". firstpost. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "NDTV's Ravish Kumar says death threats have increased". The Hindu. 25 May 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- "Book review - "The Free Voice"". The Hindu. 24 May 2018. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Book preview - The free voice - on democracy, culture and the nation". www.amazon.in. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- Ray, Prakash (5 April 2018). "Review: Democracy and Debate in the Time of 'IT Cell'". The Wire. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Bolna Hi Hai : Loktantra, Sanskriti Aur Rashtra Ke Bare Mein Paperback – 16 Sep 2019: Buy Bolna Hi Hai : Loktantra, Sanskriti Aur Rashtra Ke Bare Mein Paperback – 16 Sep 2019 by Ravish Kumar at Low Price in India". Flipkart.com. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- Trivedi, Vikas (19 February 2015). "बुक रिव्यू: 'इश्क में शहर होना' सिखाती हैं टीवी वाले रवीश कुमार की फेसबुक लव कहानियां". Aaj Tak. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- "Dekhte Rahiye: Good reads". Goodreads. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Dekhte Rahiye (1st ed.). Hindi Book Centre. 1 January 2010. ISBN 9789380044552. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Ravishpanti (1st ed.). Nine Books. ISBN 9350728907. Retrieved 24 July 2020.