S-500 missile system
|Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The S-500 Prometey (Прометей) ("Prometheus") is a Russian surface-to-air missile system, currently under development by the Almaz-Antey Air Defence Concern. It is also known as 55R6M "Triumfator-M."
The S-500 is a new generation surface-to-air missile system. It is designed for intercepting and destroying intercontinental ballistic missiles as well as hypersonic cruise missiles and aircraft, for air defense against Airborne Early Warning and Control, and for jamming aircraft. With a planned range of 600 km (370 mi) for Anti Ballistic Missile (ABM) and 400 km (250 mi) for the air defense, the S-500 would be able to detect and simultaneously engage up to 10 ballistic supersonic targets flying at a speed of 5 kilometres per second (3.1 mi/s; 18,000 km/h; 11,000 mph) to a limit of 7 km/s (4.3 mi/s; 25,000 km/h; 16,000 mph). It also aims at destroying hypersonic cruise missiles and other aerial targets at speeds of higher than Mach 5 as well as spacecraft. The altitude of a target engaged can be as high as 180–200 km (110–120 mi). It is effective against ballistic missiles with a launch range of 3,500 km (2,200 mi), the radar reaches a radius of 3,000 km (1,300 km for the EPR 0,1 square meter).
The system will be highly mobile and will have rapid deployability. Experts believe that the system's capabilities can affect enemy intercontinental ballistic missiles at the middle and end portions of flight, but reports by Almaz-Antey say that the external target designation system (RLS Voronezh-DM and missile defense system A-135 radar Don-2N) will be capable of mid-early flight portion interceptions of enemy ballistic missiles, which is one of the final stages of the S-500 project.
In 2009, the system was under development at the design stage at Almaz-Antey and had been planned to be completed in 2012. In February 2011, it was announced that the first S-500 systems should be in serial production by 2014. Under the State Armament Programme 2020 (GPV-2020), the plan is to purchase 10 S-500 battalions for the Russian Aerospace Defense (VKO).
The main components of the S-500 will be:
- the launch vehicle 77P6, based on the BAZ-69096 10x10 truck;
- the command posts 55K6MA and 85Zh6-2 on BAZ-69092-12 6x6;
- the acquisition and battle management radar 91N6A(M), a modification of the 91N6 (Big Bird) towed by the BAZ-6403.01 8x8 tractor;
- the 96L6-TsP acquisition radar, an upgraded version of the 96L6 (Cheese Board) on BAZ-69096 10x10;
- the multimode engagement radar 76T6 on BAZ-6909-022 8x8;
- the ABM engagement radar 77T6 on BAZ-69096 10x10;
Although sharing a similar designation, the relationship between this new S-500 and the S-500U project of the 1960s is unclear. The S-500U multichannel anti-aircraft system was a 1968 initiative by the Soviet Air Defence Forces, Soviet Navy, Ministry of the Radio Industry (Ministerstvo Radio Promyshlennosti SSSR), and Ministry of the Shipbuilding Industry to create a unified complex for the National Air Defence Troops, navy and ground troops. Missiles of the S-500U complex were supposed to engage enemy aircraft at a range up to 100 km (62 mi). The S-500U SAM complex project was rejected by the Soviet Army, which had a requirement to engage not only enemy aircraft, but also short range ballistic missiles. Consequently, the S-300 family (SA-10 and SA-12) was developed instead. Russia is developing two plants to produce the S-500 in 2015 but some say the earliest delivery to units will be in 2016.
Five batteries of S-500 missiles are planned to be in service by 2020. The S-500s will work with S-400s and will replace S-300 air defence missiles. The Russian military will start deploying S-500 missile systems in 2016, with a total of 10 batteries to be ordered. The first units will be deployed around Moscow and the country's central area. The targets it will defend against include: ballistic missiles, hypersonic cruise missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles, low-orbit satellites, and space weapons launched from hypersonic aircraft, drones, and hypersonic orbital platforms. A naval version is the likely armament for the new Leader-class air-defense destroyers due to enter service in 2023-25.
Response time of less than 4 seconds (S-400 less than 10).
- Arrow 3
- A–235 anti-ballistic missile system
- S-350E Vityaz
- Voronezh-DM - early-warning radar for Russian Aerospace Defence Forces
- Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GBMD)
- Medium Extended Air Defense System (MEADS) - Next generation surface to air missile being developed by the U.S., Germany, and Italy.
- THAAD - Terminal High Altitude Area Defense.
- "S-500/S-1000 (Russian Federation), Defensive weapons". Jane's Strategic Weapon Systems. 2009-02-10. Archived from the original on 2010-02-12. Retrieved 11 August 2009.
- "Russian S-500 Prometheus Ballistic Missile Defense to be Deployed in 2016". RT. 15 April 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Russia's Cutting-Edge S-500 Missile System to Begin Tests This Year". Sputnik. 1 February 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Ptichkin, Sergei (8 July 2014). Отстрелялись антиракетой - Идут испытания С-500 - новейшей системы ПВО-ПРО [Shot by anti-missile - Testing underway of C-500 - the modern air and missile defence system] (in Russian). rg.ru. Archived from the original on 19 October 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Russia set to finish development of new air defense system". RIA Novosti. 16 September 2009. Archived from the original on 23 September 2009. Retrieved 15 September 2009.
- "Russia creating new aerospace defence system". ITAR-TASS. 11 August 2009. Archived from the original on 11 August 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2009.
- "First S-500 missile complex to be put on combat alert in central Russia". TASS. Archived from the original on 23 August 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Россия откроет производство комплексов С-500 в 2015 году [Russia will open production complexes for S-500 in 2015] (in Russian). Lenta.ru. 10 April 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- Riabov, Kirill (2 May 2012). Загадочный С-500: известные подробности [The enigmatic C-500: known details] (in Russian). Topwar.ru. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Popov, Aleksandr (22 September 2016). "'The National Interest': Россия вооружается С-500 и сможет сбивать все что летает" ['The National Interest': Russia is arming itself the C-500, and will be able to shoot down all that flies] (in Russian). Newsland.com. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Russia to revamp air-space defenses by 2020 - Air Force chief". RIA Novosti. 8 August 2009. Archived from the original on 14 August 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2009.
- Military news, RU: RIA Novosti, 2009-12-17, archived from the original on 2011-02-20
- "Valeriy Ivanov on VKO, S-500, S-400 | Russian Defense Policy". russiandefpolicy.wordpress.com. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Dr C Kopp, SMAIAA, SMIEEE, PEng. "Almaz-Antey S-500 Triumfator M Self Propelled Air / Missile Defence System / SA-X-NN / Самоходный Комплекс Противоракетной / Противосамолетной Обороны С-500 "Триумфатор-М"". ausairpower.net. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- "Russia to build 2 plants for S-500 air defense systems | Defense | RIA Novosti". web.archive.org. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- "Russian Army Will Be Equipped with S-500 New Surface-to-Air Missile Defense System for 2020.". Army Recognition. Army Recognition. November 28, 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Russian armed forces will start deploying S-500 new long-range air defense missile system in 2016 - Armyrecognition.com, 10 August 2014
- First regiment of S-500 new air defense missile system will protect Moscow and center of Russia - Armyrecognition.com, 21 August 2014
- "New-generation missile destroyer under development in Russia". ITAR-TASS. 21 October 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-10-24. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "S-500 Prometheus". Missile Threat. Archived from the original on 2013-06-01. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Technical Report APA-TR-2011-0602 Almaz-Antey S-500 Triumfator M. Air Power Australia. 2011-06-16..
- System detail, Missile Threat, archived from the original on 2013-06-01.
- First S-500 missile complex to be put on combat alert in central Russia ITAR-TASS News Agency, 20 August 2014.