Aéroport de Saint-Pierre Pointe-Blanche
|Owner||Service de l'aviation civile de Saint-Pierre et Miquelon|
|Operator||Service de l'aviation civile de Saint-Pierre et Miquelon|
|Serves||Saint-Pierre, Saint-Pierre and Miquelon|
|Elevation AMSL||26 ft / 8 m|
Saint-Pierre Airport (French: Aéroport de Saint-Pierre) (IATA: FSP, ICAO: LFVP) is a regional airport located 1 NM (1.9 km; 1.2 mi) south of Saint-Pierre, in the French overseas community (collectivité d'outre-mer) of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, off the eastern coast of Canada near Newfoundland.
The airport was completed in August 1999 and consists of four buildings and a control tower. The old airport, opened in 1965 and located on the south side of the inner harbour, was re-located due to the lack of room for expansion (The current runway is 1,800 m (5,906 ft) when compared to the old 10/29 at 1,250 m (4,101 ft)). The main terminal building is a two floor structure. The old airport is located in city centre St. Pierre and is being redeveloped for housing complexes. The control tower, terminal building, hangar and part of the old runway (mark number 29) are intact. The airport project cost 370 million French francs.
Unusually, the airport's ICAO airport code, LFVP, begins with an L, representative of the codes used in France (and nearly all of southern Europe), despite the geographical proximity to Canada's codes which begin with C. While not entirely unheard of elsewhere, it is rarely seen in airports of other overseas territories or possessions of European nations, including France, which tend to hew to the most geographically relevant letter code, as opposed to the most politically relevant. Airports in French Guiana, for example, use South America's S prefix, despite French Guiana's being an overseas department of France.
- 2,200 m2 (24,000 sq ft) passenger terminal
- 1,600 m2 (17,000 sq ft) maintenance building to store snow plows
- 2,500 m2 (27,000 sq ft) aircraft hangars and workshop
- 1,400 m2 (15,000 sq ft) civil aviation buildings
All other aircraft at the airport are private aircraft for general aviation.
Airline and destinations
|Air Saint-Pierre||Halifax, Miquelon, Montréal–Trudeau, St. John's
Seasonal: Sydney (NS)
Seasonal Charters Feb and Aug: Stephenville
- Miquelon Airport
- Transport in Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- List of airports in Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- The New Sainte-Pierre et Miquelon Airport, a successful takeoff Archived October 24, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint-Pierre Airport.|
- Airport information for LFVP at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- (in French) Le Service de l'Aviation Civile de Saint-Pierre et Miquelon