Sawbridgeworth railway station
Sawbridgeworth railway station in 2010
|Local authority||East Hertfordshire|
|Managed by||Greater Anglia|
|Owned by||Network Rail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1842|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Sawbridgeworth from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK railways portal|
Sawbridgeworth railway station is on the West Anglia Main Line serving the small town of Sawbridgeworth in Hertfordshire, England. It is 26 miles 57 chains (43.0 km) down the line from London Liverpool Street and is situated between Harlow Mill and Bishop's Stortford stations. Its three-letter station code is SAW.
The waiting room was added in 1960 by H.H. Powell of the British Railways Eastern Region Architect's Department with H.E. Green as the Project Architect. The ticket office was added in 1972 by S. Hardy with Project Architect P.H. Thomas.
The station and all trains serving it are operated by Greater Anglia. Both platforms were extended to accommodate 12-coach trains in 2011.
The typical Monday-Saturday off-peak service is:
- 1 train per hour (tph) to London Liverpool Street, calling at Harlow Mill, Harlow Town, Roydon, Broxbourne, Cheshunt and Tottenham Hale, taking 41 minutes.
- 2 tph to Stratford,
- 2 tph to Bishops Stortford, calling at Bishop's Stortford only.
- 1 tph to Cambridge, calling at Bishop's Stortford, Stansted Mountfitchet, Elsenham, Newport, Audley End, Great Chesterford, Whittlesford Parkway and Shelford, taking 44 minutes.
On Sundays this becomes:
- 2 tph to London Liverpool Street, of which:
- 1tph calls at Harlow Town, Broxbourne, Cheshunt and Tottenham Hale, taking 38 minutes.
- 1tph calls at Harlow Mill, Harlow Town, Roydon, Broxbourne, Cheshunt, Tottenham Hale and Hackney Downs.
- 2 tph to Cambridge, of which:
- 1 calls at Bishops Stortford, Audley End and Whittlesford Parkway.
- 1 calls at all stations.
The level crossing located to the south of the station is manually operated, like the signals at Liverpool Street Panel (L).
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Harlow Mill or Harlow Town||Greater Anglia
West Anglia Main Line