A security bag is a heavy duty bag used to contain high-value products or documents or legally sensitive items. Envelopes with security features are called security envelopes as well as security bags. When used to contain items related to a crime, special evidence bags are used. Authentication of signatures and chain of custody are often required.
Security bags or envelopes may be specially designed plastic bags, paper bags, or fabric bags. Bags or envelopes can be made to be tamper resistant (TR); to make it difficult for unauthorized entry. Often it is more important for them to be tamper-evident (TE); to indicate when an unauthorized entry has occurred.
Bags and envelopes are often closed by an integral pressure sensitive adhesive on the closing flap; removal of a release liner allows convenient closing of the bag. Several types of security features can be included in the flap structure which are designed to irreversibly indicate opening.
Separate security tapes are also used. Tamper-indicating security seals employ a variety of mechanisms for operation, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
Documentation such as labels for certified signatures for custody and chain-of-custody labels are frequently included.
No one security feature can be considered as "tamper proof". Layers of TR and TE features, as well as the broader security systems are needed to provide better assurance of security. Most security products can be foiled by a knowledgeable person with sufficient time and with access to specialized tools, solvents, extreme temperatures, other security bags, security tapes, etc.
- Currency packaging
- Dye pack
- Evidence management
- Package pilferage
- Security seal
- US 20060066096 A1, Shen-Nan Kan, "Adhesive tape structure for sealing and keeping secrecy", published 2006
- US 5918983 A, John Palazzolo, "Security Envelope", published 1999
- US 5788377 A, Vettor, "Tamper-resistant envelope", published 1996
- US 5108194 A, Raden, "Security bag", published 1992
- US 20050036716 A1, Geyer, "Tamper indicating security bag", published 2003
- US 5631068, Smith, "Self-containing tamper evident tape and label", published 1997
- US 4449631 A, Levenberg, "Tamper proof packaging", published 1984
- Rosette, J L (2009), "Tamper-Evident Packaging", in Yam, K L, Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology, Wiley (published 2010), ISBN 978-0-470-08704-6