Comparison of the ten ounce bottle (left) and the twelve ounce bottle (right)
|Type||Flavored soft drink|
|Manufacturer||The Double Cola Company|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Related products||Sun Drop, Squirt, Vault, Mountain Dew, Mello Yello, Surge|
SKI Citrus Soda was formulated in Chattanooga, Tennessee at The Double Cola Company headquarters. The formula was perfected on August 10, 1956. SKI was registered two years later in May of 1958. The product was launched to the public that summer. When coming up for the name, management asked the staff to submit their best ideas. Then employee, Dot Myers, submitted the names SKI and SKEE after being inspired from a weekend Skiing trip on the Chickamauga lake. Management loved the name SKI, and the rest is history.
In 1999, the SKI can and logo was redesigned with the phrase "Taste the Wake."
In 2009, the SKI can and logo were redesigned, an online vote was posted on the official SKI website to vote on a selected logo. Along with the redesigned cans, Cherry SKI was re-branded as "SKI InfraRED".
In 2009 the selected can design hits markets with the phrase "Real Lemon, Real Orange, Real Good!"
SKI is bottled in several bottling facilities across the United States. Ski is distributed in Alabama, Alaska, California, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Although the origins to SKI have no known connection to the city of Evansville, Indiana, the product is incredibly popular there, and has become a significant part of the local culture. The bottling plant located in Greensburg, KY also make it a regional staple in the Southern part of the state.
- "SKI History". THE DOUBLE COLA COMPANY.
- name="history">Double Cola Archived 2011-04-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Reynolds, Ryan (August 8, 2016). "Ski, unofficial soft drink of the West Side, turning 60". Courier & Press. Retrieved July 6, 2019.
- Cornish, Eric. "You Know You're From Evansville When…". 99.5 WKDQ.
- "Excel Bottling and Ski Soda Increase Support for MB Motorsports, Justin Jennings at Chicagoland". Catchfence. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Wilson, Steven B. "Kyle Donahue to make Gateway Debut in No 63 Blue Lives Matter Chevy". Retrieved 2017-06-23.