Spencer Township, Guernsey County, Ohio
|Spencer Township, Guernsey County, Ohio|
Location of Spencer Township in Guernsey County
|• Total||29.6 sq mi (76.6 km2)|
|• Land||29.5 sq mi (76.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||902 ft (275 m)|
|• Density||36/sq mi (14.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086190|
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Westland Township - north
- Jackson Township - northeast
- Valley Township - east
- Buffalo Township, Noble County - southeast, north of Noble Township
- Noble Township, Noble County - southeast, south of Buffalo Township
- Brookfield Township, Noble County - south
- Meigs Township, Muskingum County - southwest corner
- Rich Hill Township, Muskingum County - west
The village of Cumberland is located in southern Spencer Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Spencer township, Guernsey County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Sarchet, Cyrus Parkinson Beatty (1911). History of Guernsey County, Ohio, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen & Company. p. 324.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.