The Great (miniseries)
|Country of origin||United States|
The Great is a satirical, comedic drama about the rise of Catherine the Great from outsider to the longest reigning female ruler in Russia's history. Season One is a fictionalized, fun and anachronistic story of an idealistic, romantic young girl, who arrives in Russia for an arranged marriage to the mercurial Emperor Peter. Hoping for love and sunshine, she finds instead a dangerous, depraved, backward world that she resolves to change. All she has to do is kill her husband, beat the church, baffle the military and get the court onside. A very modern story about the past which encompasses the many roles she played over her lifetime as lover, teacher, ruler, friend, and fighter. Incorporating historical facts occasionally, the series stars Elle Fanning as Catherine, Nicholas Hoult, Phoebe Fox, Adam Godley, Gwilym Lee, Charity Wakefield, Douglas Hodge, Sacha Dhawan, Sebastian de Souza, Bayo Gbadamosi and Belinda Bromilow.
Cast and characters
- Elle Fanning as Catherine the Great
- Nicholas Hoult as Peter III of Russia
- Phoebe Fox as Marial
- Gwilym Lee as Grigor
- Louis Hynes as Vlad
- Sacha Dhawan
- Sebastian De Souza
- Adam Godley
- Charity Wakefield
- Douglas Hodge
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||TBA||Matt Shakman||TBA||May 15, 2020|
Episodes of the first season include:[a]
- "A Fake Beard" written by Tony McNamara
- "Love & Carriages" written by Tony McNamara
- "Meatballs at the Dacha" Story by : Amelia Roper & Tony McNamara
Teleplay by : Tony McNamara
- "Moscow Mule" written by Tess Morris & Tony McNamara
- "Parachute" written by Tony McNamara
- "The Gift" written by Tony McNamara
- "War and Vomit" written by James Wood
On August 24, 2018, it was announced that Hulu was close to giving a pilot order to a miniseries about Catherine the Great. The series was expected to be written by Tony McNamara who was also set to serve as an executive producer alongside Elle Fanning and Marian Macgowan. Production companies involved with the pilot were slated to consist of Media Rights Capital, Echo Lake Entertainment, and Thruline Entertainment. On November 20, 2018, it was reported that Matt Shakman was directing the pilot. On February 11, 2019, it was announced during the Television Critics Association's annual winter press tour that Hulu had given the production a series order.
On January 17, 2020, it was announced that the series will premiere on May 15, 2020.
Alongside the initial pilot announcement, it was confirmed that Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult had been cast in the pilot's lead roles as Catherine the Great and her husband Peter III of Russia, respectively. In November 2018, it was announced that Phoebe Fox, Sacha Dhawan, Charity Wakefield, and Gwilym Lee had joined the cast of the pilot. Louis Hynes, known for his role as Klaus Baudelaire on Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events, announced on September 2019 on his Instagram Stories saying "from unfortunate to great" that he has some role on the show too 
Principal photography for the pilot had commenced by November 2018 in York, England with other filming locations expected to include Leicestershire, Lincolnshire and Hever in Kent and Caserta, Italy.
- Hipes, Patrick (January 17, 2020). "Hulu Sets Premiere Dates For 'The Great', 'Ramy' And 'Solar Opposites' – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 17, 2020.
- "The Great – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- Wiseman, Andreas (November 20, 2018). "'The Aeronauts' & 'Curfew' Actress Phoebe Fox Joins Elle Fanning & Nicholas Hoult In Hulu's 'The Great'; Pilot Underway". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "The Great". Writers Guild of America West. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- White, Peter (February 11, 2019). "Hulu Hands Out Series Orders To Femme Fatale Drama 'Reprisal' & Russian Period Romp 'The Great' – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- Wiseman, Andreas (November 21, 2018). "'Iron Fist' Actor Sacha Dhawan And 'Bounty Hunters' Actress Charity Wakefield Join Hulu's 'The Great'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (November 27, 2018). "'Bohemian Rhapsody' Star Gwilym Lee Joins Hulu Pilot 'The Great'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- Louis Hynes Instagram https://instagram.com/stories/louis.hynes/2139529826369261064
- 'The Great': Sebastian De Souza Joins Elle Fanning & Nicholas Hoult In Hulu Comedy Series
- Thompson, Vicky (October 24, 2018). "Casting call for extras for Catherine the Great drama to be filmed in York". The Press. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Steves, Ashley (October 19, 2018). "U.K. Now Casting: Gymnasts and Acrobats Wanted for Touring Stage Show 'Marvel Universe LIVE!' + 3 More Gigs". Backstage. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Verney, Joseph (October 23, 2018). "Another movie star-studded drama to be filmed in Lincolnshir". Lincolnshire Reporter. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Cook, Laurence (November 1, 2018). "UK Casting: Audition for Catherine the Great Starring Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult". Backstage. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- "Una Reggia da zar per le riprese della serie su Caterina la Grande". Retrieved February 12, 20. Check date values in: