True Love (Cole Porter song)
"True Love" is a popular song written by Cole Porter and was published in 1956. The song was introduced by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly in the musical film High Society. "True Love" was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Song. The Crosby–Kelly version, accompanied by Johnny Green's MGM studio orchestra using a romantic arrangement by Conrad Salinger, was a hit single, peaking No. 4 in the United States and No. 4 in the UK. A 1983 re-issue reached No. 70 in the UK.
Kelly's contribution on the record is relatively minor, duetting with Crosby on only the final chorus. Nonetheless, the single is co-credited to her and became her only gold record. It was Crosby's 21st gold record.
"True Love" is the name of a yacht on which two of the characters honeymoon in the play The Philadelphia Story, on which the musical is based. Bing Crosby later owned a 55-foot Constellation yacht which he named the "True Love".
Recordings that charted
|Single by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly|
|from the album High Society|
|B-side||"Well, Did You Evah!"|
|Format||10" 78rpm and 7" single|
|Recorded||February 22, 1956|
|Single by Richard Chamberlain|
|from the album Richard Chamberlain Sings|
|B-side||"I Will Love You"|
|Richard Chamberlain singles chronology|
|Single by George Harrison|
|from the album Thirty Three & 1/3|
|Released||18 February 1977|
|George Harrison singles chronology|
|Thirty Three & 1/3 track listing|
A version of the song by Jane Powell out at the same time as the Crosby–Kelly version was also popular.
A version by Nancy Sinatra was released as a single in 1965.
Elvis Presley cut a version of "True Love" that was featured on his successful album Loving You from 1957. Ricky Nelson included a version of the song on his 1957 debut album Ricky. Shelley Fabares cut a version of the song on her album Shelley! released in 1962. Al Hirt released a version on his 1962 album, Trumpet and Strings. The Everly Brothers recorded a version for their 1962 album Instant Party without any commercial success though. In 1961, Patsy Cline covered the song on her second studio album, Patsy Cline Showcase. Other versions to achieve success include Jack Jones, 1965, as the closing tune for There's Love and There's Love and There's Love, an album of romance classics arranged by Nelson Riddle; The song has also featured on a number of albums cut by Connie Francis. A version of "True Love" is on the 1974 album I'm Leaving It All Up to You by Donny and Marie Osmond.
The short-lived 1980s band Oasis recorded a version on their one album, Oasis, in 1984. Anne Murray recorded a cover of the song for her album Croonin' (1993). Neil Diamond covered the song for his 1998 album The Movie Album: As Time Goes By. Deana Martin recorded “True Love” on her 2013 album Destination Moon as a duet with her father, Dean Martin, who originally recorded the song for his 1960 album This Time I'm Swingin'!.
- High Society (1956) - Soundtracks from the Internet Movie Database
- "BING CROSBY | Artist". Official Charts. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- British Hit Singles & Albums (18th ed.). Guinness World Records Ltd. 2004. ISBN 1-904994-00-8.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 99. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Ruhlmann, William. "Thirty Three & 1/3 - George Harrison : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Calkin, Graham. "George Harrison - True Love". Jpgr.co.uk. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Eder, Bruce. "Loving You - Elvis Presley : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Ruhlmann, William. "Ricky - Rick Nelson : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Adams, Greg. "Shelley!/The Things We Did Last Summer - Shelley Fabares : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Al Hirt, Trumpet and Strings Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Liner notes for The Everly Brothers "Instant Party"
- Patsy Cline's Recording Sessions - The Decca Years
- Ankeny, Jason. "She Loves Me/There's Love & There's Love & There's Love - Jack Jones : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Oasis - Oasis : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Cooper, Dan. "Croonin' - Anne Murray : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Gallucci, Michael. "The Movie Album: As Time Goes By - Neil Diamond : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Deana Martin -- Internationally-acclaimed entertainer will bring tour to St. Charles, at the Edwardsville Intelligencer; published February 20, 2014; retrieved May 18, 2014