United States Senate election in South Dakota, 2010
|Elections in South Dakota|
The 2010 United States Senate election in South Dakota was held on November 2, 2010 along other elections to the United States Senate in other states as well as elections to the United States House of Representatives and various state and local elections. Incumbent Republican U.S. Senator John Thune won re-election to a second term unopposed.
Thune was narrowly elected to his first term over Democratic Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle with 51% of the vote in 2004. In spite of his lack of seniority, Thune has risen to the position of chairman of the Republican Policy Committee in the United States Senate.
No members of the South Dakota Democratic Party (or any other party) filed to challenge Thune. Scott Heidepriem, the South Dakota Senate Minority Leader and a Democratic candidate for Governor of South Dakota, said, "We just concluded that John Thune is an extremely popular senator who is going to win another term in the Senate."
- John Thune, incumbent U.S. Senator
|Cook Political Report||Solid R||October 8, 2010|
|Rothenberg||Safe R||October 1, 2010|
|Real Clear Politics||Leans R|
|Sabato's Crystal Ball||Safe R||September 30, 2010|
|CQ Politics||Safe R||October 8, 2010|
|Public Policy Polling||June 5-8, 2010||702||± 3.7%||54%||44%||—||5%|
|Public Policy Polling||April 5, 2010||702||± 3.7%||58%||34%||—||5%|
|Public Policy Polling||January 5, 2010||702||± 3.7%||56%||43%||—||5%|
|Public Policy Polling||December 10–13, 2009||702||± 3.7%||56%||33%||—||11%|
|Candidate (Party)||Receipts||Disbursements||Cash on hand||Debt|
|John Thune (R)||$6,282,750||$2,988,648||$7,194,549||$0|
|Source: Federal Election Commission|
- "Republican Sen. John Thune unopposed by Democrats". KCAU-TV. April 1, 2010. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- "Kurt Evans drops out of SD race for US Senate". KCAU-TV. 2010-04-29. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Brokaw, Chet (April 1, 2010). "S.D. Dems Skip Senate Race Against GOP’s Thune". Yankton Press & Dakotan. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- "Senate". Cook Political Report. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "Senate Ratings". Rothenberg Political Report. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "Battle for the Senate". RealClearPolitics. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "2010 Senate Ratings". Sabato's Crystal Ball. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "Race Ratings Chart: Senate". CQ Politics. Archived from the original on October 28, 2010. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "2010 House and Senate Campaign Finance for South Dakota". fec.gov. Retrieved July 25, 2010.
- Secretary of State - Election Night Results - November 2nd, 2010
- South Dakota Elections and Voter Registration from the Secretary of State
- U.S. Congress candidates for South Dakota at Project Vote Smart
- South Dakota U.S. Senate from OurCampaigns.com
- Campaign contributions from Open Secrets
- 2010 South Dakota Senate General Election graph of multiple polls from Pollster.com
- 2010 South Dakota Senate Race from CQ Politics
- Race profile from The New York Times
- Official campaign websites