Wallingford station (Connecticut)
Wallingford station in November 2013
|Location||37 Hall Avenue
|Line(s)||New Haven–Springfield Line|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Rebuilt||May 2017 (under construction)|
|Passengers (2013)||17,061 6%|
Wallingford Railroad Station
|Architectural style||Second Empire|
|NRHP Reference #||93001245|
|Added to NRHP||November 19, 1993|
Wallingford station is an Amtrak train station in Wallingford, Connecticut. It serves the Northeast Regional, New Haven – Springfield Shuttle, and the Vermonter lines. The station is located adjacent to the town green, between Hall Avenue and Quinnipiac Avenue, near where both intersect with Colony Street (U.S. Route 5).
Additionally, the Connecticut Department of Transportation plans to add a new commuter service called the Hartford Line in collaboration with Amtrak and the federal government that will run between New Haven and Springfield, Massachusetts. As of late 2015, funding had been secured and the service is scheduled to begin operation in early 2018. A new station with high-level platforms is under construction to the north of the existing station; it will open in May 2017.
The interior of the building closed as a station in 1994 and is now used for adult education and the New Haven Model Railroad Club but trains still stop there today. The line through Wallingford was double tracked until 1990 when the second track was removed. Today there are 15 passenger trains a day in addition to daily round-trip freight on the Springfield Line during the daytime. Wallingford Station has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1993. There are currently plans by Amtrak and the Connecticut Department of Transportation to add a new service called the Hartford Line. ConnDOT has stated that a new station will be built half a mile north on Parker Street to accommodate the increased number of passengers.
A temporary platform replaced the former platform on May 1, 2016. The temporary platform will be used until the new station is completed. The rebuilt Meriden, Berlin, and Wallingford stations are expected to be completed by November 2016, although the stations will serve only existing Amtrak service until 2018 when Hartford Line service begins.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of Connecticut" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "State Listings - Connecticut - New Haven County". National Register of Historic Places. Archived from the original on 28 September 2012.
- Stacom, Dan (4 December 2015). "Springfield-To-New Haven Commuter Rail Cost Increases, Service Begins In 2018". Hartford Courant. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Wallingford, CT (WFD)". Great American Stations. Amtrak. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Construction Update: Town of Wallingford - April 29- May 1, 2016". Connecticut Department of Transportation. 27 April 2016. Archived from the original on 27 April 2016.
- Lipiner, Bryan (August 23, 2016). "New train stations in Wallingford and Meriden may open in spring". Meriden Record-Journal. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Media related to Wallingford (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Wallingford, CT
- "Wallingford Amtrak Station". USA Rail Guide - Train Web.
- "Wallingford, Conn., railroad station, n.d. New Haven Railroad Photographic Negatives Collection (1991-0134.ph115)". Railroad History Archive. University of Connecticut Libraries. Archived from the original (photograph) on 19 February 2012.