Web Open Font Format
|Internet media type||
77 4F 46 46 ("wOFF" in ASCII)77 4F 46 32 ("wOF2" in ASCII)
|Type of format||Font file|
|Container for||SFNT fonts|
|Website||WOFF File Format|
Submission as a standard
Following the submission of WOFF by the Mozilla Foundation, Opera Software and Microsoft on April 8, 2010, the W3C commented that it expects WOFF to soon become the "single, interoperable [font] format" supported by all browsers. The W3C published WOFF as a working draft on July 27, 2010, and it became a W3C Recommendation on 13 December 2012.
WOFF is essentially a wrapper that contains SFNT-based fonts (TrueType or OpenType) that have been compressed using a WOFF encoding tool to enable them to be embedded in a Web page. The format uses zlib compression (specifically, the compress2 function), typically resulting in a file size reduction from TTF of over 40%. Like OpenType fonts, WOFF supports both PostScript and TrueType outlines for the glyphs.
The format has received the backing of many of the main font foundries and has been supported by all major browsers:
- Firefox since version 3.6
- Google Chrome since version 6.0
- Internet Explorer since version 9
- Konqueror since KDE 4.4.1
- Opera since version 11.10 (Presto 2.7.81)
- Safari 5.1
- other WebKit-based browsers since WebKit build 528
Some browsers enforce a same-origin policy, preventing WOFF fonts from being used across different domains. This restriction is part of the draft CSS 3 Fonts module, where it applies to all font formats and can be overridden by the server providing the font.
Some servers may require the manual addition of WOFF's MIME type to serve the files correctly; the proper MIME type is
font/woff is also commonly seen.
WOFF 2.0, based on the Brotli compression algorithm and other improvements over WOFF 1.0 giving more than 30 % reduction in file size, is supported in Chrome (since version 36), Opera (since version 26) and Firefox (since version 35).
- "Appendix B: Media Type registration". W3C. 2011-08-14.
- Kew, Jonathan; Tal Leming (Type Supply), Erik van Blokland (LettError) (2009-10-23), WOFF File Format (draft of 2009-10-23), Mozilla Foundation, retrieved 2010-01-30 Cite uses deprecated parameter
- WOFF File Format 1.0
- WOFF File Format 1.0 Submission Request to W3C
- Galineau, Sylvain (2010-04-23), Meet WOFF, The Standard Web Font Format, Microsoft
- Team Comment on "WOFF File Format 1.0" Submission
- WOFF - Now loading fonts on websites, The H, 2010-07-28
- Buckler, Craig (2010-08-17), W3C Backs the WOFF WebFont Standard, SitePoint
- W3C: WOFF 2.0 Evaluation Report
- Stefanov, Stoyan (2009-10-20), @font-face gzipping - take II, PHPied.com, retrieved 2010-01-30
- Wardle, Tiffany (2009-07-16), Typegirl - Most of the important foundries are supporting #webfont, tumblr, retrieved 2010-02-05
- Shapiro, Melissa (2009-10-20), Mozilla Supports Web Open Font Format, Mozilla Foundation, retrieved 2010-02-05
- Colyer, Matt (2010-09-21), Typekit adds Chrome 6 WOFF support, Typekit
- Hachamovitch, Dean (2010-06-23), HTML5, Native: Third IE9 Platform Preview Available for Developers, Microsoft
- KDE SVN Revision 1088984, KDE Bugzilla, 2010-02-12, retrieved 2011-10-14
- A first glimpse at Opera 11.10 "Barracuda", Opera Software, 2011-02-17, retrieved 2011-02-17
- Web specifications support in Opera Presto 2.7, Opera
- Safari Features, Apple, 2011-06-06, retrieved 2011-10-14
- Safari 5.1 Changelog, FileHippo.com, retrieved 2011-10-14
- Bug 38217 - [chromium] Add WOFF support, WebKit
- Bug 31302 - Add WOFF support for @font-face, WebKit
- CSS Fonts Module Level 3
- "Webfonts are not loading in Firefox". Fontspring. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Chromium 36 Release Notes, Google
- Opera 26 Release Notes, Opera Software ASA
- Firefox 35 Release Notes, Mozilla Developer Network
- Current specification of the WOFF file format at the World Wide Web Consortium's website
- The original open-source code for generating WOFF files
- The original open-source code for generating WOFF2 files
- Webfont generator that can convert fonts in to woff files
- ttf → woff - An online utility to convert ttf files to woff files
- ttf → woff2.0 - Everythingfonts ttf file to woff2.0 file converter
- font2web.com converts TrueType or OpenType font file to .eot and .woff files
- Compatibility table for support of WOFF fonts in browsers