West Kirby television relay station
West Kirby transmitting mast, June 2009
|Mast height||17 metres (56 ft)|
|Relay of||Winter Hill|
|BBC region||BBC North West|
|ITV region||ITV Granada|
|Local TV service||Bay TV Liverpool|
The West Kirby television relay station (also commonly known as West Kirby transmitter) serves parts of West Kirby, Wirral, UK (national grid reference: SJ224862). It is a relay of the Winter Hill transmitter. The antenna support structure is a 17 metre-high (56 ft-high) wooden pole situated at an elevation of 64 metres (210 ft). Thus, the top of the pole has an overall height of 81 metres (266 ft) above sea level. As of 2009, the transmitter serves approximately 3,400 homes.
The relay station is located on a United Utilities bore hole site near Column Road, West Kirby. The relay was not an original VHF 405-line transmitter. For 625-line analogue services on UHF, the relay covers a geographical Winter Hill blind spot in the vicinity of West Kirby near the Dee estuary. Prior to switchover, analogue channels BBC One, BBC Two, ITV1 and Channel 4 are radiated from the site. Being a relay of Winter Hill, the transmitter is in the BBC North West and ITV Granada TV regions.
From 4 November 2009 some digital TV services started broadcasting from the transmitter.
The final digital switchover date was 2 December 2009, after which three digital multiplexes (known as Freeview Lite) were made available.
All TV transmissions from the West Kirby site are vertically polarised.
|474.166 MHz||21+||0.015||BBC B||DVB-T2|
|498.000 MHz||24||0.015||Digital 3&4||DVB-T|
|522.000 MHz||27||0.015||BBC A||DVB-T|
- Flint television relay station
- Moel-y-Parc transmitting station
- Storeton transmitting station
- Winter Hill transmitting station
- "West Kirby transmitter - analogue switch-off". ukfree.tv. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- "Digital Switchover Transmitter Details: Granada Region" (PDF). Office of Communications (OFCOM). 2007-10-24. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- "The Transmission Gallery: West Kirby". mb21. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- "Freeview Lite?". Brian Butterworth, ukfree.tv. 2006-01-01. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- West Kirby's entry at the mb21 transmitter gallery
- Map showing location of West Kirby transmitter site and surrounding areas
|This article about a mast or transmitter tower in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|