Wheeling Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|• Total||27.5 sq mi (71.2 km2)|
|• Land||26.9 sq mi (69.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,217 ft (371 m)|
|• Density||63/sq mi (24.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085790|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Short Creek Township, Harrison County - north
- Mount Pleasant Township, Jefferson County - northeast corner
- Colerain Township - east
- Richland Township - southeast
- Union Township - southwest
- Flushing Township - west
- Athens Township, Harrison County - northwest
Name and history
Wheeling Township was organised in 1808. Wheeling Township took its name from its largest waterway, Wheeling Creek. From its source west of Lafferty and south of Flushing, Wheeling Creek winds along the southern regions of Wheeling Township, through and near communities such as Oco, Bannock, Crabapple, Flushing and Blainesville. Wheeling Creek has several tributary creeks that flow through the township, including Crabapple Creek, which begins just west of the township's boundary, Campbell Run, a tributary of Crabapple Creek, McCracken Run, meeting Wheeling Creek in Fairpoint, Love's Run, whose confluence is just east of Fairpoint and Cox Run, which flows into the creek in Blainesville.
Statewide, the only other Wheeling Township is located in Guernsey County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following 1 January. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on 1 April of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 25 October 2007. Retrieved 31 January 2008.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 31 January 2008.
- Township Population By County - 2010 Census,[dead link] Ohio Townships Association, 2011. Accessed 4 March 2013.
- McKelvey, A. T. (1903). Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. pp. 279.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary. Scott and Wright. pp. 491. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01 and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 30 April 2009.