Warren Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|Warren Township, Belmont County, Ohio|
Aerial view of the Olney Friends School
Location of Warren Township in Belmont County
|• Total||35.3 sq mi (91.3 km2)|
|• Land||34.9 sq mi (90.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,293 ft (394 m)|
|• Density||171/sq mi (66.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085787|
Warren Township is one of the sixteen townships of Belmont County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 5,974 people in the township, 1,781 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Kirkwood Township - north
- Goshen Township - east
- Wayne Township - southeast corner
- Somerset Township - south
- Millwood Township, Guernsey County - west
- Oxford Township, Guernsey County - northwest
The village of Barnesville is located in central Warren Township.
Name and history
Warren Township was organized about 1806-1807.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Warren township, Belmont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- McKelvey, A. T. (1903). Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 220.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 467. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.