Wind power in Portugal
Wind power in Portugal describes wind power in Portugal as part of energy in Portugal and renewable energy in Portugal. As of December 2013, wind power capacity in Portugal (Madeira and Azores included) was of 4,731 MW. Wind share of total electricity consumption was 23% saving nearly 8,182,900 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.
The largest owners of wind farms, as of December 2013, are ENEOP2 (23,9%), Iberwind (14,5%) (EDP Renováveis) (13%), Generg (9,2%) and EEVM (6,2%). The record of wind power generation utilization was achieved on October 24, 2013 at 02:00 with 3844 MW or 84% of the total used electricity.
|Installed windpower capacity (MW)|
|6||Viana do Castelo||308.8||356.0||342.6|
|Portugal total (MW)||2832||3535||4731 |
Most of the Portuguese wind capacity is located in the north-northeast distritos. Viseu is the distrito with the largest installed capacity, followed by Coimbra, Vila Real and Castelo Branco.
Major wind farms
The 240 MW Alto Minho Wind Farm in the Viana do Castelo district became fully operational in November, 2008 when Portugal's Economy Minister Manuel Pinho inaugurated it. At the time of completion it was Europe's largest on-shore wind farm. The wind farm began generating electricity in 2007, with production increasing as more wind turbines came online, reflecting the modular nature of wind farms. The wind farm consists of 68 Enercon E-82 2MW wind turbines and 52 Enercon E-70 E4 2MW turbines, totaling 136 MW and 104 MW, respectively. The wind farm will produce 552 GWh annually, avoiding 370,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.
Other wind farms include: The Pampilhosa Wind Farm (114 MW) that uses Vestas V90 turbines; The Caramulo Wind Farm with a capacity of 90 MW, using Enercon E-70 E4 and E82/2000 turbines; and the Candeeiros Wind Farm with a capacity of 111 MW, using Vestas V90 turbines.
In 2013, Portugal installed 196 MW of wind power.
In 2015, the MW of wind power didn't change in comparison with 2014, remaining at 4922,88 MW.
- List of large wind farms
- Renewable energy in the European Union
- Renewable energy in Portugal
- Solar power in Portugal
- Geothermal power in Portugal
- Renewable energy by country
- Renewable energy commercialization
- Rodrigues, Álvaro (December 2008). "Wind farms in Portugal" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-12-05.
- Rodrigues, Álvaro (December 2009). "Wind farms in Portugal" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- "Europe's biggest wind energy park inaugurated in Portugal". Yahoo News. Thu, Nov 27 12:56 am. Retrieved 2008-12-05. Check date values in:
- Tremlett, Giles (2008-12-02). "Europe's biggest wind farm switches on". guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-12-05.
- Rodrigues, Álvaro (March 2007). "Wind farms in Portugal" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-12-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wind power in Portugal.|