Wind power in Turkey
Wind power in Turkey is gradually expanding in capacity, mainly in the Aegean and Marmara regions. Turkey has about 3 GW of installed capacity. The Turkish government has a target of increasing Turkey's wind capacity 20 times by 2020. The technical wind energy potential is estimated to be about 114 GW of capacity in regions where the wind speed is higher than 7.0 meters above the ground at 50 meters’ height.
In 2006, 19 MW of wind power was installed, and in 2007, capacity increased to almost 140 MW: According to Transmission Reports, at the end of 2010 it had risen to 1265 MW, and is specified as 1645.30 MW by October, 2011 by the same reports.
Current and planned capacity
A total of 1,330 wind turbines are currently in place in Turkey, which saves the country from spending an additional $500 million on natural gas. About 10GW has been licensed to be installed in total.
Renewable energy law includes fairly attractive incentives for wind power plants in Turkey.
The installed capacity was 51 MW in 2006 and it is increased to the 4498MW in 2015. Wind power in Turkey is increasing tremendously but still the desired level of the installed capacity is not reached because the wind potential is very high in Turkey.
- List of wind farms in Turkey
- Wind farms in Turkey
- Renewable energy in Turkey
- Solar power in Turkey
- Geothermal power in Turkey
- Biofuel in Turkey
- Hydroelectricity in Turkey
- Renewable energy by country
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wind power in Turkey.|
- Ercan Ersoy (11 June 2012). "General Electric to Invest $900 Million in Turkey in 3 Years". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- DAWOOD, KAMRAN (2016). "Hybrid wind-solar reliable solution for Turkey to meet electric demand". Balkan Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering. 4 (2): 62–66. doi:10.17694/bajece.06954.2016.09.01.
- Turkey Looks to Exploit Wind Energy Potential
- "The Current Situation of Wind Energy in Turkey".
- "Supply, transformation and consumption of renewable energies - annual data (choose Wind and TeraJoule)". EuroStat. 2017-02-06. Retrieved 2017-02-28.