Arirang (TV network)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Network||Korea International Broadcasting Foundation|
|Owned by||N/A (not deemed w/ interconnecetion of MBC)|
|Slogan||Korea's Global TV
Korea's Multilingual TV
Your Everything Solutions
|Headquarters||Seoul, South Korea|
|Astra 19.2 (FTA)||11.509Ghz Vertical|
|Hot Bird (FTA)||11.623Ghz Vertical|
|Intelsat 19 (FTA)||3.815Ghz Vertical and 12.557GHz Horitzontal|
|Intelsat 20 (FTA)||4.054Ghz Vertical|
|Intelsat 21 (FTA)||3.88Ghz Vertical|
|SkyLife (South Korea)||Channel 153|
|SamaCom (Middle East)||Channel 153|
|Dish Network (US)||Channel 705|
|Indovision (Indonesia)||Channel 351|
|ClaroTv (Perú)||Channel 154|
|Cignal Digital TV (Philippines)||Channel 82|
|Dream Satellite TV (Philippines)||Coming Soon|
|Royal Cable (Philippines)||Channel 53|
|Cable Star Iloilo (Philippines)||Channel 53|
|SkyCable (Philippines)||Channel 147 (Digital)|
|Cablelink (Philippines)||Channel 68|
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 146|
|First Media (Indonesia)||Channel 253|
|HTVC (Vietnam)||Channel 58|
|TelkomVision (Indonesia)||Channel ??|
|Cable TV Hong Kong (Hong Kong)||Channel 149|
|Gigacable Aguascalientes (México)||Channel 27|
|Parasat Cable TV (Philippines)||Channel 108|
|Destiny Cable (Philippines)||Channel 73|
|TBC (Taiwan)||Channel 222|
|newTV (Taiwan)||Channel 404|
|Cablevision (Argentina)||Channel 563|
|Comcast (US)||Channel 667|
|Verizon FiOs (US)||Channel 229|
|True IPTV (Thailand)||Channel 17|
|CHT MOD (Taiwan)||Channel 112|
Arirang TV (Korean: 아리랑 TV; Alilang TV) is an international English-language network based in Seoul, South Korea operated by the Korea International Broadcasting Foundation. The channel presents a diverse lineup of programs (including cultural features, documentaries and language programs) designed to give viewers a contemporary, accurate look at Korea, Asia and the world. The network's name, "Arirang", is derived from the traditional Korean folk song of the same name.
Founded in 1996, the network airs news, cultural programs, educational shows and documentaries 24 hours a day in nearly 200 countries. Arirang's mission is to "burnish Korea's image in international communities and to improve relationships with foreign countries through close cooperation with broadcasting companies overseas".
Among the network's most-popular and longest-running shows is Arirang News, Showbiz Korea, Pops in Seoul and Heart to Heart. Arirang News is a current-affairs show providing up-to-the-minute, objective and in-depth coverage of domestic and international news. From Diplomacy Lounge and the talk show Heart to Heart viewers can gain insight and diverse perspectives on Korea, seeing the country through the eyes of foreign diplomats and visiting international newsmakers. Although government-affiliated, Arirang retains independent-programming rights. The network airs programming about other countries, for culturally-diverse content; this includes culinary shows about global cuisines and public-service announcements in conjunction with UNICEF to combat world hunger.
Operated by the Korea International Broadcasting Foundation, Arirang broadcasts three channels: Arirang World, Arirang Korea and Arirang Arab. The network offers subtitles in a number of languages, including Arabic, Chinese and Spanish. On March 3, 2008, Arirang TV added three more languages: Russian, Vietnamese and Indonesian. The network is free-to-air in much of Europe (except Finland), North America, Asia (except Korea), Australia and the Pacific region via Astra 1E, Hotbird 3, Intelsat (PAS) 2, 8, 9 and 10 and Arabic feed in Asiasat 3s and Badr4. Arirang Korea feed is now available in Koreasat 3 via the SkyLife DTH service.
- 10 April 1996: Korea International Broadcasting Foundation founded
- 3 February 1997: Arirang TV domestic broadcasting launched
- 22 October 1998: Arirang TV is designated the main operating body for overseas broadcasting by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism
- 16 December 1998: Media Exporting Center established
- 12 August 1999: Arirang TV begins broadcasting in Asia-Pacific region
- 10 January 2000: Translation and Interpretation Center established
- 26 September 2000: Arirang TV begins broadcasting to Europe, Africa and the Americas
- 2 March 2001: Arirang TV Media founded
- 17 October 2001: Dish Network begins retransmitting Arirang TV in the US
- 2 March 2002: Skylife begins transmitting Arirang TV in Korea
- 1 September 2003: FM Radio launched in Jeju Province
- 1 August 2004: Arirang TV available on every continent
- 20 August 2004: Arabic service launched in the Arab region
- 1 December 2004: TPS begins retransmitting Arirang TV in France
- 27 June 2005: Arirang TV adopts new logo
- 1 September 2005: Satellite digital multimedia broadcasting begun
- 1 December 2005: Terrestrial digital multimedia broadcasting begun
- 1 April 2006: Astra begins retransmitting Arirang TV in western Europe
- 1 September 2006: "Arirang Cast" internet broadcasting service begins
- 1 June 2009: Launched digital terrestrial TV in Latin America
- 12 August 2009: Launched digital terrestrial TV in New York and Atlanta
- 1 October 2009: Arirang TV launches IPTV service in Korea
Arirang Radio was founded by the Korea International Broadcasting Foundation in 1996.
- 10 April 1996: Korea Broadcasting Foundation founded
- 3 February 1997: Arirang TV domestic broadcasting launched
- 13 December 2002: Arirang FM broadcast clearance issued
- 1 September 2003: Arirang FM broadcasting launched
- 10 October 2003: Broadcast day expanded to 22 hours
- 1 September 2005: SDMB (satellite digital multimedia broadcasting) launched; broadcast day extended to 24 hours
- 1 December 2005: Terrestrial digital multimedia broadcasting launched
Arirang TV is seen as "biased and unrealistic" in its coverage of South Korea (many programs alleged propaganda similar to China's CCTV-9), and has been known to censor negative views of South Korea.
- "Arirang TV to overcome triple whammy". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "[KoreaToday] Arirang TV Fighting Do-or-Die Fight". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- About Arirang - www.arirang.co.kr
- "Arirang TV begins DTV service in metropolitan Washington, D.C., area". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Arirang World channel stops broadcasting in Finland (Official bulletin)
- "Arirang Radio to Go On Air in U.S.". Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Arirang CEO Sees Chinese TV as Bridge for Exporting Korean Culture". Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Arirang TV (Arirang gets rid of annoying outside views)
- Arirang TV (Response)