Gage County, Nebraska
|Gage County, Nebraska|
Gage County Courthouse in Beatrice, 2009
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|• Total||860 sq mi (2,227 km2)|
|• Land||855 sq mi (2,214 km2)|
|• Water||5 sq mi (13 km2), 0.54%|
|• Density||26/sq mi (10/km²)|
In the Nebraska license plate system, Gage County is represented by the prefix 3 (it had the third-largest number of vehicles registered in the county when the license plate system was established in 1922).
- U.S. Highway 77
- U.S. Highway 136
- Nebraska Highway 4
- Nebraska Highway 8
- Nebraska Highway 41
- Nebraska Highway 43
- Nebraska Highway 103
- Nebraska Highway 112
- Lancaster County, Nebraska - north
- Otoe County, Nebraska - northeast corner
- Johnson County, Nebraska - northeast
- Pawnee County, Nebraska - southeast
- Marshall County, Kansas - southeast
- Washington County, Kansas - southwest
- Jefferson County, Nebraska - west
- Saline County, Nebraska - northwest
||Saline County||Lancaster County||Otoe County and Johnson County|
|Washington County, Kansas||Pawnee County and Marshall County, Kansas|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 22,993 people, 9,316 households, and 6,204 families residing in the county. The population density was 27 people per square mile (10/km²). There were 10,030 housing units at an average density of 12 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.69% White, 0.32% Black or African American, 0.58% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.26% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. 0.85% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 56.6% were of German, 6.9% Irish, 6.3% English and 6.3% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 9,316 households out of which 30.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.70% were married couples living together, 7.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.40% were non-families. 29.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.00% under the age of 18, 7.70% from 18 to 24, 26.30% from 25 to 44, 22.80% from 45 to 64, and 19.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 94.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,908, and the median income for a family was $43,072. Males had a median income of $29,680 versus $21,305 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,190. About 6.60% of families and 8.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.70% of those under age 18 and 8.00% of those age 65 or over.
- Blue Springs
- Blue Springs-Wymore
- Island Grove
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Gage County History (archived)
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 133.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gage County, Nebraska.|