Perkins County, Nebraska
|Perkins County, Nebraska|
Perkins County Courthouse in Grant
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Charles Elliott Perkins|
|• Total||884 sq mi (2,290 km2)|
|• Land||883 sq mi (2,287 km2)|
|• Water||1 sq mi (3 km2), 0.12%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
In the Nebraska license plate system, Perkins County is represented by the prefix 74 (it had the seventy-fourth-largest number of vehicles registered in the county when the license plate system was established in 1922).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 884 square miles (2,290 km²), of which, 883 square miles (2,287 km²) of it is land and 1 square miles (3 km²) of it (0.12%) is water.
- Lincoln County, Nebraska - (East)
- Hayes County, Nebraska - (Southeast)
- Chase County, Nebraska - (South)
- Phillips County, Colorado - (Southwest)
- Sedgwick County, Colorado - (West)
- Keith County, Nebraska - (North)
- Deuel County, Nebraska - (Northwest)
||Deuel County||Keith County|
|Sedgwick County, Colorado||Lincoln County|
|Phillips County, Colorado||Chase County||Hayes County|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,200 people, 1,275 households, and 893 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,444 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.69% White, 0.03% Black or African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 1.34% from other races, and 0.44% from two or more races. 2.31% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,275 households out of which 32.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.90% were married couples living together, 4.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.90% were non-families. 27.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.60% under the age of 18, 6.00% from 18 to 24, 23.50% from 25 to 44, 24.70% from 45 to 64, and 19.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 100.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,205, and the median income for a family was $42,112. Males had a median income of $28,438 versus $19,881 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,830. About 9.50% of families and 13.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.10% of those under age 18 and 8.90% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Archives Record: Perkins County, Nebraska". Nebraska State Historical Society. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.