Boyd County, Nebraska
|Boyd County, Nebraska|
Boyd County Courthouse in Butte, Nebraska
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 20, 1891|
|Named for||James E. Boyd|
|• Total||545 sq mi (1,412 km2)|
|• Land||540 sq mi (1,399 km2)|
|• Water||5 sq mi (13 km2), 0.83%|
|• Density||5/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
In the Nebraska license plate system, Boyd County is represented by the prefix 63 (it had the sixty-third-largest number of vehicles registered in the county when the license plate system was established in 1922).
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota - east
- Knox County, Nebraska - southeast
- Holt County, Nebraska - south
- Rock County, Nebraska - southwest
- Keya Paha County, Nebraska - west
- Gregory County, South Dakota - northwest
||Gregory County, South Dakota|
|Keya Paha County||Charles Mix County, South Dakota|
|Rock County||Holt County||Knox County|
National protected areas
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,438 people, 1,014 households, and 670 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 1,406 housing units at an average density of 3 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.89% White, 0.57% Native American, 0.16% Asian, and 0.37% from two or more races. 0.08% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 45.2% were of German, 10.0% American, 9.3% Czech, 7.8% Irish, 6.9% English and 5.9% Swedish ancestry.
There were 1,014 households out of which 29.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.40% were married couples living together, 3.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.90% were non-families. 32.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.00% under the age of 18, 5.40% from 18 to 24, 21.20% from 25 to 44, 24.10% from 45 to 64, and 24.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 93.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,075, and the median income for a family was $32,000. Males had a median income of $20,859 versus $17,688 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,840. About 12.90% of families and 15.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.60% of those under age 18 and 11.20% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "About", North Central RC&D. Retrieved 9/17/07
- Fitzpatrick, Lillian L. (1960). Nebraska Place-Names. University of Nebraska Press. p. 21.
- History of the Origin of the Place Names in Nine Northwestern States. 1908. p. 12.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 17, 2013.