Garden County, Nebraska
|Garden County, Nebraska|
Garden County Courthouse in Oshkosh, Nebraska
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,731 sq mi (4,483 km2)|
|• Land||1,704 sq mi (4,413 km2)|
|• Water||27 sq mi (70 km2), 1.54%|
|• Density||1/sq mi (0.49/km²)|
In the Nebraska license plate system, Garden County is represented by the prefix 77 (it had the seventy-seventh-largest number of vehicles registered in the state when the license plate system was established in 1922).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,731 square miles (4,483.3 km2), of which 1,704 square miles (4,413.3 km2) is land and 27 square miles (69.9 km2) (1.54%) is water.
- Sheridan County, Nebraska - north
- Grant County, Nebraska - east
- Arthur County, Nebraska - east
- Keith County, Nebraska - southeast
- Deuel County, Nebraska - south
- Cheyenne County, Nebraska - southwest
- Morrill County, Nebraska - west
|Morrill County||Grant County and Arthur County|
|Cheyenne County||Deuel County||Keith County|
National protected area
Garden County was formed in 1909 by popular vote. Voters in the general election of November 2, 1909, approved making the northern part of Deuel County into its own county. It is said that the county was so named in the hope that this land should become the garden of the West or with allusion to the "Garden of Eden".
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,292 people, 1,020 households, and 658 families residing in the county. The population density was 1 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,298 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.34% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.26% Asian, 0.52% from other races, and 0.48% from two or more races. 1.44% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 43.5% were of German, 10.0% Irish, 9.6% American and 9.2% English ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 1,020 households out of which 24.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.90% were married couples living together, 6.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.40% were non-families. 32.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.77.
In the county the population was spread out with 21.80% under the age of 18, 4.60% from 18 to 24, 22.70% from 25 to 44, 27.00% from 45 to 64, and 24.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 94.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,458, and the median income for a family was $32,546. Males had a median income of $21,495 versus $17,000 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,414. About 10.80% of families and 14.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.00% of those under age 18 and 8.70% of those age 65 or over.
Like much of the Nebraska Panhandle Garden County is a traditionally Republican county. It was one of only two counties Ben Nelson failed to carry in 1994. In Presidential elections the last Democratic candidate to carry the county was Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1932. As part of Nebraska's 3rd congressional district it has been represented by Republicans since 1961.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Joseph Nathan Kane, The American Counties (4th Ed.), (The Scarecrow Press, 1983), p130, p479
-  Retrieved on March 15, 2008.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- David Leip Electoral Atlas (Maps for Nebraska gubernatorial races)
- Geographie Electorale
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Garden County, Nebraska.|