Map of Cebu with Boljoon highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||2nd district of Cebu|
|Barangay||11 (see § Barangays)|
|• Mayor||Merlou Derama (LP)|
|• Vice Mayor||Alfredo Awe|
|• Total||117.00 km2 (45.17 sq mi)|
|• Density||130/km2 (330/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PHT (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Income class||5th class|
- El Pardo
- Lower Becerril
- San Antonio
- South Granada
- Upper Becerril
|Population census of Boljoon|
|Source: National Statistics Office<|
Nuestra Señora de Patrocinio Parish Church of Boljoon shows old and intricate carvings and bas-reliefs. It is in a pseudo-baroque rococo style. It has a main nave, a transcript, and twenty-eight pillars which support the walls. The walls are as thick as the pillars which are 2 metres (6 ft 7 in) thick and made of mortar and lime.
Boljoon became a visita of Carcar founded according to some authors in 1599. It became an independent vicariate on October 31, 1690, and on April 5, 1692, Fr. Nicolas de la Cuadra was appointed as prior. Because of the lack of priests, the church was turned over to the Jesuits on September 27, 1737, following the recommendation of the intermediate chapter of 1732. In the year 1747, the General of the Augustinians Order proposed the recovery of the parishes left off in the Visayas.
Boljoon's earlier building had been destroyed in a raid in 1782, and its pastor Fr. Ambrosio Otero started rebuilding the following year. The work was continued by Fr. Manuel Cordero in 1794 but when Fr. Julian arrived, the work was not yet completed. He decided to build a blockhouse 120 by 80 metres (390 ft × 260 ft) on which artillery was mounted, and he enclosed the church perimeter with a wall. He finally completed the church. The church and the adjoining convento were restored by Fr. Leandro Moran (1920-1948) the last Augustinian friar to be assigned to Boljoon.
In 1999, the National Historical Institute declared it a National Historical Landmark. The following year, the National Museum declared it as a National Cultural Treasure.
Nuestra Señora de Patrocinio Parish Church was lucky enough to withstand the 7.2 magnitude earthquake in 2013 that affected Bohol and Cebu.
Discovery of 16th-century artefacts
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Province: Cebu". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Population and Annual Growth Rates by Province, City and Municipality: Central Visayas: 1995, 2000 and 2007". National Statistics Office. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Brief Historical Notes on Boljoon".
- "Boljoon Church".
- Abs-Cbn Interactive, 16th-century artifacts found in Boljoon, Cebu
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boljoon.|