Democratic People's Republic of Korea passport
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2007)|
|North Korean passport|
The front cover of a diplomat passport of North Korea.
|Issued by||North Korea|
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||North Korean citizenship|
Democratic People's Republic of Korea passports may be issued to citizens of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea for international travel.
Types of DPRK passport
- Ordinary passport is a single passport which, after being granted special permission, is handed out to North Koreans, who visit foreign countries for official reasons, i.e., professional, sports, academic competitions, business trips. Ordinary passports are withdrawn by the Foreign Ministry after travel.
- Official passport is issued for trade and other economic bureaucrats traveling abroad.
- Diplomatic passport is issued to high officials of the Foreign Ministry, the central party and other subordinate offices of the KWP. For the rest of the bureaucrats, only vice ministers or higher can receive a diplomatic passport.
The official passport and diplomatic passport must be returned and kept in the passport office, from where it can be retrieved for any further foreign travel. Ordinary passports are never issued without special permission and all holders must apply for an exit visa in order to leave the country.
A DPRK Passport includes two handwritten identity pages. The first identifies the holder, and includes the following information:
- 1. Passport number
- 2. Name in full (in English and in Korean)
- 3. Date of birth (YY-MM-DD)
- 4. Place of birth
- 5. Nationality (specified as "Korean")
- 6. Length of the passport validity (five years)
- 7. Expiry date (YY-MM-DD)
- 8. Issue date (YY-MM-DD)
The second page is for official endorsements.
Note of passport
The passport contains the following note: Korean:
- 이 려권소지자는 조선민주주의인민공화국의 보호를 받습니다. 이 려권소지자를 지장없이 통과시켜 주며 그에게 필요한 편의와 보호를 베풀어 줄것을 모든 관계자들에게 요청하는 바입니다.
- The holder of this passport is under protection of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. All those whom it may concern are hereby requested to allow the holder to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the holder with assistance and protection as may be necessary.
- Picture of personal detail in DPRK passport and ROK travel certificate and Japan registration card #1
- Picture of personal detail in DPRK passport #2
- DPRK official passport
- DPRK Ordinary Passport and ROK Ordinary Passport
- DPRK Passport (Machine-Readable type)
- New North Korean Passport since 2000