European Common Aviation Area
ECAA agreements between the EU and some external countries were signed on 5 May 2006 in Salzburg, Austria. It would build upon the EU's acquis communautaire and the European Economic Area. The ECAA in effect would liberalize the air transport industry by allowing any company from an ECAA member state to fly between any ECAA member states airports (including the possibility for a "foreign" company to provide domestic flights). It is expected by the year 2010 the market integration between EU and non-EU members to be completed.[dated info]
On 9 June 2006 the ECAA agreement was signed by almost all of the 27 EU members, the European Community itself, Norway, Iceland, Croatia, Macedonia, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo (UNMIK as Kosovo representative under Security Council resolution 1244). The last two EU member states to sign it were Slovakia and Latvia respectively on 13 June 2006 and 22 June 2006. Finally of the initially expected countries Serbia signed on 29 June 2006 and Montenegro on 5 July 2006.
A Common Aviation Area (CAA) with the EU's neighbours
A similar system, the Euro-Mediterranean Aviation Agreement, is expected to be enacted with the Mediterranean partnership countries. The Euro-Mediterranean agreements in the field of aviation was signed on 12 December 2006 with the Kingdom of Morocco, on 15 December 2010 with the Kingdom of Jordan, on 10 June 2013 with Israel. Georgia signed an Common Aviation Area Agreement with the European Union on 2 December 2010 and Moldova signed an agreement on 26 June 2012. Further talks are expected with Switzerland, Turkey and probably the remaining EUROCONTROL members. The first round of negotiations on an EU-Azerbaijan Common Aviation Area started in Baku on 24 and 25 January 2013 and with Tunisia on 27 June 2013. Ukraine was planning to sign an agreement to join the Common Aviation Area on 5 June 2014, but it was postponed.
- "External Aviation Policy – A Common Aviation Area with the EU's neighbours".
- "EU-Morocco aviation agreement: Morocco joins Europe in the aviation field".
- "EU-JORDAN: a common Aviation Area to be gradually implemented".
- "Aviation: EU and Israel sign agreement".
- "Common Aviation Area Agreement between the European Union and its Member States and Georgia".
- "Common Aviation Area Agreement between the European Union and its Member States and the Republic of Moldova".
- "EU, Azerbaijan start negotiations over "Common Aviation Area Agreement"".
- "International aviation: Tunisia".
- "Common Aviation Area Agreement signing between Ukraine and the EU to be postponed".