Highgate Hill, Queensland
The rolling topography of Highgate Hill
|Population||5,824 (2011 census)|
|• Density||4,850/km2 (12,600/sq mi)|
|Area||1.2 km2 (0.5 sq mi)|
|Location||2 km (1 mi) from Brisbane|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
|State electorate(s)||South Brisbane|
Highgate Hill is a suburb of inner Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) south of the Brisbane CBD on the Brisbane River. The topography of the suburb is undulating hills no more than 70 metres (230 ft) above sea level.
Highgate Hill is a high-density suburb with many apartment buildings, some more than 10 storeys. These apartment blocks are centered along the main road of Dornoch Terrace, a trend that was started in 1960 by the landmark Torbreck building. Proximity to and views of the Brisbane central business district have drawn residents to the area.
In the 2011 Census the population of Highgate Hill is 5,824, 48.7% female and 51.3% male. The median/average age of the Highgate Hill population is 34 years of age, 3 years below the Australian average. 59.2% of people living in Highgate Hill were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 3.9%, Greece 3.8%, New Zealand 3%, China 1.8%, India 1.7%. 66.3% of people speak English as their first language 7.9% Greek, 2.5% Mandarin, 1.7% Vietnamese, 1.6% Spanish, 1% French.
On the eastern side of the suburb Gloucester Street railway station once provided better rail access. The station was removed in 1978, with little indication of its existence remaining.
Highgate Hill has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
The following prominent people have an association with Highgate Hill:
- Ron Archer (cricketer) - birth
- Benjamin Harris Babbidge(alderman and mayor) - residence
- William Theophilus Blakeney (registrar-general) - residence
- John McLaren (cricketer) - death
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Highgate Hill (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "History of Highgate Hill". Ourbrisbane.com. Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 24 January 2008.
- "Wairuna (entry 15001)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Kinauld (entry 15000)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Torbreck (entry 16019)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
Media related to Highgate Hill, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a place in Brisbane is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|