|• Density||1,821/km2 (4,720/sq mi)|
|Area||4.4 km2 (1.7 sq mi)|
|Location||8 km (5 mi) from Brisbane CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
|State electorate(s)||Ashgrove, Everton|
The suburb is located 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) from the Brisbane central business district some areas of Mitchelton can be 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) to the Brisbane central business district. Mitchelton is part of the northwestern suburbs. It is a growing suburb with many Queenslander style houses and leafy streets. The area is quite hilly and most of the suburb is on a north-facing slope.
In the 2011 Census the population of Mitchelton is 8,012, 52.8% female and 47.2% male.
The median/average age of the Mitchelton population is 35 years of age, 2 years below the Australian average.
79.9% of people living in Mitchelton were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 3.6%, New Zealand 2.6%, Scotland 0.7%, United States of America 0.7%, India 0.6%.
89.8% of people speak English as their first language 0.5% Italian, 0.5% Mandarin, 0.4% Japanese, 0.4% Spanish, 0.3% German.
Mitchelton is an area with a long history. Mitchelton's name comes from one particular family of the first settlers in the area. The Mitchell family emigrated from England in the 1850s. Nicolas Mitchell purchased an estate he named "Mitchelton" by 1875. This area was subdivided in the 1890s.
Mitchelton has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 35 Church Road: St Matthews Anglican Church
- 67 Osborne Road: Good Shepherd Home, Mt Maria College
Mitchelton is now filled with many shops, schools and facilities, such as the Brookside Shopping Centre. Mitchelton is also home to many sporting teams in state competition.
Via train, Oxford Park Railway Station and Mitchelton Railway Station provide access to regular Citytrain services on the Ferny Grove railway line arranging travel to the Brisbane CBD, Beenleigh and Ferny Grove.
Via road, Mitchelton's main arterials are Samford Road, which is the main corridor for motorists travelling to The City and Samford, as well as Osborne Road which is the main corridor for motorists travelling to the outer Northern suburbs such as Aspley.
Mitchelton is home to numerous schools, which include Mitchelton State School, Mitchelton State High School, Mitchelton Special School, Our Lady of Dolours Primary School and Mt Maria College, which is based in the old Sisters of the Good Shepherd home for troubled girls.
- ABS Statistics
- "Mitchelton (entry 44885)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "St Matthews Anglican Church (entry 15031)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Good Shepherd Home (former)". Brisbane Heritage Register. Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mitchelton, Queensland.|
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Mitchelton
- "Mitchelton". BRISbites. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008.
- "Mitchelton". Our Brisbane. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 17 September 2007.
- Randall, Brian. "Mitchelton". Local History. Australian Broadcasting Commission.