February 11, 1973 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Spouse(s)||Kang Shi-kyu (m. 2007)|
|Revised Romanization||Jeon Do-yeon|
Jeon Do-yeon (born February 11, 1973) is a South Korean actress. She has won many awards in her career, including best actress at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival for her portrayal of a broken woman who has lost everything in Lee Chang-dong's Secret Sunshine.
Jeon Do-yeon spent five years starring in television dramas before achieving instant star status with her film debut opposite Han Suk-kyu in The Contact. She went on to establish a reputation as a "chameleon" who can take on a wide variety of roles, from her performance as a doctor in the hit melodrama A Promise, to that of a schoolgirl in The Harmonium in My Memory, then a wife having an adulterous affair in Happy End. In 1999 and 2000 she received a Best Actress award from both the Blue Dragon Film Awards and the Grand Bell Awards for her role in The Harmonium in My Memory.
In 2001 she skillfully played a very ordinary bank teller in Park Heung-shik's debut I Wish I Had a Wife. After starring as the tough-talking "Sunglasses" in Ryoo Seung-wan's No Blood No Tears (2002), Jeon spent time acting in the TV drama Shoot for the Stars. In 2003 she found box-office success in E J-yong's Untold Scandal, an adaptation of the famous French novel Dangerous Liaisons set in Joseon. The following year she reunited with director Park Heung-shik in a dual role for the time-bending melodrama My Mother, the Mermaid.
In 2005 Jeon burst back into the limelight playing a prostitute who contracts AIDS in Park Jin-pyo's hard-hitting melodrama You Are My Sunshine. The performance helped turn the film into a box-office hit (3 million+ admissions), and also won her yet more additions to her collection of local acting awards. She then returned to television in Lovers in Prague which depicts the love story between the president's daughter and an ordinary detective; the drama averaged over 27 percent viewership ratings. In Korea, it is rare for a movie and a TV drama with the same leading actor or actress to become major hits at the same time, but Jeon managed to pull both roles off perfectly without causing any confusion in the audience.
But it was her role in Lee Chang-dong's Secret Sunshine in 2007 that would see her emerge in full glory. Although the film itself, which debuted at the Cannes Film Festival, evoked widely differing assessments from international critics, Jeon's performance was universally praised, and she was presented with a Best Actress award by the Cannes jury -- the first Korean ever to receive an acting award at Cannes.
After making the charming, laidback road movie My Dear Enemy post-Cannes, Jeon gave birth to a daughter and rested for a while. In 2010, she re-established her status as Korea's premier A-list actress, headlining the controversial remake The Housemaid.
In caper movie Countdown Jeon played a female con artist who risks her life for ten days for a final deal with a cold-hearted debt collector. Countdown premiered at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.
Jeon then played a housewife who gets framed for smuggling drugs on her way home from Paris in Bang Eun-jin's The Road Home (2013). She has been cast as a blind swordswoman in the Goryeo-set revenge period drama Memories of the Sword (2014), her third collaboration with Park Heung-shik.
Although not as broadly popular with audiences as some other stars, Jeon is widely respected for her acting abilities, and many young actresses cite her as a role model.
Jeon Do-yeon and Go Soo's new movie 'The Way Home' is set to premiere on December 2013, which is a dramatic thriller that was based on a true story of an ordinary housewife who gets apprehended at the airport in France and framed for drug trafficking. 
- Memories of the Sword (2014)
- The Way Home (2013)
- Countdown (2011)
- The Housemaid (2010)
- My Dear Enemy (2008)
- Secret Sunshine (2007)
- You Are My Sunshine (2005)
- My Mother, the Mermaid (2004)
- Untold Scandal (2003)
- No Blood No Tears (2002)
- I Wish I Had a Wife (2001)
- Happy End (1999)
- The Harmonium in My Memory (1999)
- A Promise (1998)
- The Contact (1997)
- On Air (SBS, 2008) (cameo, episode 2)
- Lovers in Prague (SBS, 2005)
- Shoot for the Stars (SBS, 2002)
- Love Story "Host of Memory" (SBS, 1999)
- MBC Best Theater "What You Cherish Can Never Be Forgotten" (MBC, 1998)
- Snail (SBS, 1997)
- Star in My Heart (MBC, 1997)
- Sunday Family Theater "간이역" (MBC, 1996)
- Until We Can Love (KBS, 1996)
- Project (KBS, 1996)
- Our Sunny Days of Youth (KBS, 1995)
- General Hospital (MBC, 1994)
- Love is Blue (SBS, 1994)
- Scent of Love (SBS, 1994)
- Our Paradise 2 (MBC, 1990)
- The Queen of Opera Tears (1998)
- Educating Rita (1997)
Commercials and Print Ads
- Sisleÿa Global Firming Serum (2011)
- Emons Furniture (2008-2011)
- Hana Financial Group (2007)
- Hankook Tire 'Driving Emotion' (2006)
- Chung Kwang Plus One apartments (2006)
- Nadri Cosmetics Sanghwang NAG (2005-2006)
- QUA (2002)
- Yesprice.co.kr (2000)
- Hite (2000)
- Korea Telecom (1999)
- Daewoo Chorus (1999)
- Dongsan C&G Sexy Mild Essence (1997)
- Esquire Beart (1997)
- Orion Basic Crackers
- Haitai Sunkist 과일촌Ca (1996)
- Haitai Bongbong (1994)
- Lamy Cosmetics Lafine Vegetable (1994)
- Crown Jollypong
- Crown Orange Montt (1993)
- Crown Caramel Corns&Peanuts (1992-1994)
- Crown Choco Heim (1992)
- Crown Minishell (1992)
- Johnson & Johnson Lite Baby Skin Lotion (1992)
- 2011 Fantasporto Director's Week: Best Actress, The Housemaid
- 2011 Seoul Art and Culture Awards: Best Film Actor/Actress, The Housemaid
- 2009 Director's Cut Awards: Cinema Angel Award
- 2009 Andre Kim Best Star Awards: Super Artist Award
- 2009 Order of Arts and Letters: Chevalier
- 2008 Women News: '2030 여성 희망리더 20인'
- 2008 Asian Film Awards: Best Actress, Secret Sunshine
- 2007 Proud Korean Awards: Recipient (for Movie category)
- 2007 Director's Cut Awards: Best Actress, Secret Sunshine
- 2007 Women in Film Korea Awards: Best Actress, Secret Sunshine
- 2007 Korean Film Awards: Best Actress, Secret Sunshine
- 2007 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Actress, Secret Sunshine
- 2007 Korean Association of Film Critics Awards: Best Actress, Secret Sunshine
- 2007 Asia Pacific Screen Awards: Best Actress, Secret Sunshine
- 2007 Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism: Okgwan Order of Cultural Merit
- 2007 Asia Producers Network: Asian Movie Artist Award
- 2007 Grand Bell Awards: Special Achievement Award, Secret Sunshine
- 2007 Cannes Film Festival: Best Actress, Secret Sunshine
- 2006 Grand Bell Awards: Best Actress, You Are My Sunshine
- 2006 Max Movie Awards: Best Actress, You Are My Sunshine
- 2005 Director's Cut Awards: Best Actress, You Are My Sunshine (tied with Lee Young-ae, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance)
- 2005 SBS Drama Awards: Daesang <Grand Prize>, Lovers in Prague
- 2005 SBS Drama Awards: Top 10 Stars, Lovers in Prague
- 2005 Korean Film Awards: Best Actress, You Are My Sunshine
- 2005 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Couple Award <with Hwang Jung-min>, You Are My Sunshine
- 2005 Korean Association of Film Critics Awards: Best Actress, You Are My Sunshine
- 2005 New York Film Academy Women's Film Festival: Best Actress, You Are My Sunshine
- 2005 Chunsa Film Art Awards: Best Actress, You Are My Sunshine
- 2004 Director's Cut Awards: Best Actress, My Mother, the Mermaid
- 2004 Korean Film Awards: Best Actress, My Mother, the Mermaid
- 2002 SBS Drama Awards: Best Actress, Shoot for the Stars
- 2002 SBS Drama Awards: Top 10 Stars, Shoot for the Stars
- 2002 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popularity Award
- 2001 Baeksang Arts Awards: Best Actress, I Wish I Had a Wife
- 2000 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popularity Award
- 2000 Grand Bell Awards: Best Actress, The Harmonium in My Memory
- 2000 Director's Cut Awards: Best Actress, Happy End
- 2000 Pusan Film Critics Awards: Best Actress, Happy End
- 1999 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Actress, The Harmonium in My Memory
- 1999 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popularity Award
- 1999 Baeksang Arts Awards: Best Actress, A Promise
- 1998 Korean Association of Film Critics Awards: Best New Actress, The Contact
- 1997 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best New Actress, The Contact
- 1997 Grand Bell Awards: Best New Actress, The Contact
- "Festival de Cannes: Secret Sunshine". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- Actors and Actresses of Korean Cinema. Koreanfilm.org.
- A Tale of Two Jeons. The Chosun Ilbo. April 1, 2004.
- 2 characters working without a script. Korea JoongAng Daily. February 25, 2002.
- Drama Looks for Love in Prague. The Korea Times. September 14, 2005.
- Jeon Do-yeon's multiple hits stem from passion for acting. The Korea Herald. September 29, 2005.
- "INTERVIEW: Actress Jeon Do-youn - Part 1". 10Asia. April 21, 2010.
- "INTERVIEW: Actress Jeon Do-youn - Part 2". 10Asia. April 21, 2010.
- Cannes top prize goes to Korean film actress. Korea JoongAng Daily. June 7, 2007.
- Actress without ambition gets it all. Korea JoongAng Daily. May 16, 2007.
- Interview with Jeon Do-yeon. CNN. October 9, 2007.
- Int'l Awards Only the Start for Jeon, Kang. The Chosun Ilbo. October 8, 2007.
- Cannes winner takes her next step. Korea JoongAng Daily. October 3, 2007.
- Jeon Do-yeon, Ha Jung-woo as Ex-Lovers. The Korea Times. August 27, 2008.
- Jeon Do-yeon on Pregnancy, Post-Cannes Film. The Korea Times. September 21, 2008.
- Queen of Cannes Is Back with Lighter Fare. The Chosun Ilbo. September 22, 2008.
- Enemies conquer poverty to rekindle love. Korea JoongAng Daily. October 2, 2008.
- Jeon Do-yeon Returns to Screen in Risque Role. The Chosun Ilbo. April 16, 2010.
- Korea’s Queen of Cannes is back. Reuters. April 26, 2010.
- Cannes Winner Jeon Hopes 'Countdown' a Commercial Hit. The Chosun Ilbo. October 1, 2011.
- Interview: Actress Jeon Do-youn - Part 1. 10Asia. October 21, 2011.
- Interview: Actress Jeon Do-youn - Part 2. 10Asia. October 21, 2011.
- Korean pic Countdown announced as part of 1st lineup for TIFF. 10Asia. July 27, 2011.
- Jeon Do-yeon to Tie Knot in Private Ceremony. The Chosun Ilbo. March 6, 2007.
- Stars Have Nuptial Plans: Actress Jeon Do-yeon Cuts Tape. The Korea Times. March 6, 2007.
- Actress Jeon Marries. The Korea Times. March 11, 2007.
- Jun Do-yeon weds. PopSeoul. March 11, 2007.
- Jeon Do Yeon’s never seen before wedding pictures. PopSeoul. March 19, 2007.
- Jeon Do-yeon Awarded Top French Honor.The Chosun Ilbo. October 10, 2009.
- Jeon Do-yeon at Soop Management (Korean)
- Jeon Do-yeon at HanCinema
- Jeon Do-youn at the Korean Movie Database
- Jeon Do-yeon at the Internet Movie Database
- Jeon Do-yeon: A Portrait at The Korea Society
- A Tribute to Jeon Do-yeon at OhmyNews International
|Awards and achievements|
for Memories of Matsuko
|Asian Film Award for Best Actress
for Secret Sunshine
for The Equation of Love and Death