Kadiri Venkata Reddy
|Kadiri Venkata Reddy|
|Born||1 July 1912
Tadipatri, Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Died||16 September 1972
|Occupation||Director, Producer, Writer|
Kadiri Venkata Reddy or K. V. Reddy (1 July 1912 – 15 September 1972) was a great indian film director, writer, producer and production manager in Telugu cinema, known for his pioneering work in folklore, social and fantasy films. His film Donga Ramudu (1955) was archived in the curriculum of the Film and Television Institute of India Patala Bhairavi got critical acclaim at India International Film Festival in 1952. He has garnered three National Film Awards.
K. V. Reddy was born on 1 July 1912 in Tadipatri, Anantapur district in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. He was awarded a BSc in Physics by Madras Presidency College before starting his career in film industry as a cashier for Vauhini Studios in 1938.
Reddy went on to direct movies such as Bhakta Potana and Yogi Vemana, with Chittor V. Nagaiah as lead actor. His 1951 production of Patala Bhairavi, starring S. V. Ranga Rao and N. T. Rama Rao, was a hit and was screened for 100 days in 28 centers. Maya Bazaar is regarded as his magnum opus, while Donga Ramudu (1955) is included in the curriculum of the Film and Television Institute of India. K. V. Reddy had four sons and five daughters. He died on 15 September 1972.
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu - Pedda Manushulu (1955)
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu - Pelli Naati Pramanalu (1958)
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Kannada - Satya Harishchandra (1966)
- Sri Krishna Satya (1972)
- Bhagyachakram (1968)
- Umachandi Gauri Sankarula Katha (1968)
- Satya Harishchandra (1965)
- Sri Krishnarjuna Yudham (1962)
- Jagadeka Veeruni Katha (1961)
- Jagathala Prathapan (1961)
- Vazhkai Oppantham (1959)
- Pelli Naati Pramanalu (1958)
- Maya Bazaar (1957/I)
- Donga Ramudu (1955)
- Peddamanushulu (1954)
- Patala Bhairavi (1951)
- Gunasundari Katha (1949)
- Yogi Vemana (1947)
- Bhakta Potana (1942)
- Sri Krishnarjuna Yudham (1963) (screen adaptation)
- Maya Bazaar (1957/I) (adaptation)
- Donga Ramudu (1955)
- Patala Bhairavi (1951) (screen adaptation)
- Gunasundari Katha (1949) (screen adaptation)
- Satya Harishchandra (1965/II) (producer)
- Sri Krishnarjuna Yudham (1963) (producer)
- Jagadeka Veeruni Katha (1961) (producer)
- Pelli Naati Pramanalu (1958) (producer)
- Swargaseema (1945) (production manager)
- Devatha (1941) (production manager)
- Sumangali (1940) (production manager)
- Vande Mataram (1939) (production manager)
- Sashidhar AS, TNN Aug 13, 2012, 04.15PM IST (2012-08-13). "Donga Ramudu was included in FTII - Times Of India" (Press release). Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "Nostalgia - Pathala Bhairavi". CineGoer.com. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "2nd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- "6th National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. Retrieved September 3, 2011.