List of NCAA college football rivalry games
- 1 NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision
- 2 NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision
- 3 NCAA Division II
- 4 NCAA Division III
- 5 Longest active NCAA college football rivalries
- 6 See also
- 7 Notes
- 8 Further reading
NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision
Rivalries involving more than two teams
|Game||Trophy||Teams||First meeting||Final meeting|
|Beehive Boot||BYU, Utah, Utah State||1971|
|Big Three||Harvard, Princeton, Yale||1877|
|Commander-in-Chief's Trophy||Air Force, Army, Navy||1972|
|Florida Cup||Florida, Florida State, Miami (FL)||2002|
|Michigan MAC Trophy||Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan||2005|
|Tobacco Road||Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest||1888|
|The Heartland Rivalry||Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin||1890|
NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision
NCAA Division II
NCAA Division III
Longest active NCAA college football rivalries
Following are the longest active continuously-played series in NCAA college football. Many historic series were interrupted by the 1918 flu pandemic and World War II. More recently, other longstanding rivalries were terminated by the 2010–13 NCAA conference realignment.
|Series nickname||NCAA Div.||First meeting||Series leader||Notes|
|Lafayette–Lehigh||1897||The Rivalry||FCS||1884||Lafayette||Most played series in college football|
|Minnesota–Wisconsin||1907||Paul Bunyan's Axe||FBS||1890||Minnesota||Most played series in FBS|
|Clemson–South Carolina||1909||Palmetto Bowl||FBS||1896||Clemson|
|North Carolina State–Wake Forest||1910||FBS||1895||NC State|
|Oklahoma–Oklahoma State||1910||Bedlam Series||FBS||1904||Oklahoma|
|Kansas–Kansas State||1911||Sunflower Showdown||FBS||1902||Kansas|
|Wabash–DePauw||1911||Monon Bell||Div. III||1890||Wabash|
|Iowa State–Kansas State||1917||Farmageddon||FBS||1917||Iowa State|
|Michigan–Ohio State||1918||The Game||FBS||1897||Michigan|
|Minnesota–Iowa||1918||Floyd of Rosedale||FBS||1891||Minnesota|
|North Carolina–Virginia||1919||South's Oldest Rivalry||FBS||1892||North Carolina|
|Purdue–Indiana||1920||Old Oaken Bucket||FBS||1891||Purdue|
Longest interrupted NCAA college football rivalries
Following are the NCAA Division I and iI series that continued for the most consecutive seasons before being interrupted.
|Length||NCAA Div.||First meeting||Notes / reason for interruption|
|Nebraska–Kansas||1906–2010||105 years||FBS||1892||Longest continuous series in FBS until ended in 2010
Ended by NU's move to Big Ten
|Texas–Texas A&M||1915–2011||97 years||FBS||1894||Ended by A&M's move to SEC|
|Oklahoma–Kansas||1903–1996||94 years||FBS||1903||Longest continuous series in FBS until ended in 1996
Ended by Big 12 divisional play
|Missouri–Kansas||1919–2011||93 years||FBS||1891||Ended by MU's move to SEC|
|Missouri–Iowa State||1919–2011||93 years||FBS||1896||Ended by MU's move to SEC|
|Nebraska–Iowa State||1921–2010||90 years||FBS||1896||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Nebraska–Kansas State||1922–2010||89 years||FBS||1911||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Nebraska–Missouri||1922–2010||89 years||FBS||1892||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Presbyterian–Newberry||1919–2006||88 years||Div. II||1913||Ended by Presbyterian's move to Division I|
- Most-played rivalries in NCAA Division I FBS
- List of NCAA Division III football programs
- Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy (top team in the Northeast)
- List of black college football classics
- College rivalry#United States
- The rivalry began in 1924. The first Battle for Chief Caddo was in 1961. Chief Caddo is the largest trophy in college sports, standing at over 7 feet (2.1 m) tall.
- The first Hoosier Helmet game occurred in 1927 when the Butler Bulldogs played the Valparaiso Crusaders. The rivalry continued through the years in the Indiana Collegiate Conference (College Division), the Heartland Conference (Division II), and presently the Pioneer League (Division I FCS). The series' first season where a trophy was awarded was in 2006.
- The first Nickel Trophy game was in 1938. The series has been suspended since North Dakota State moved from Division II to the Championship Subdivision. The University of North Dakota completed its transition to Division I in 2012, and there is some hope the rivalry game will be reinstated.
- The oldest rivalry in NCAA Football and the second longest in number of games. The first game was played on November 15, 1873 before a crowd of 500 at Hamilton Park in New Haven, CT with Princeton winning 3-0. The 136th game was played on November 16, 2013 in Princeton, NJ where Princeton won 59-23.
- Though The Rivalry is not the oldest rivalry in NCAA Football, it is the most played and longest uninterrupted rivalry. Since the first game in 1884, the Lafayette Leopards and Lehigh Engineers/Mountain Hawks have met 150 times and only missed one year (1896).
- Although the Fall Classic has only been played since 2002, Pitt-Northwest first played in 1932.
- The first Top Dog Game occurred in 1971 when the Butler Bulldogs moved from the College Division to Division II, joining their cross-town rival the U. of I. (formerly Indiana Central) Greyhounds in the Heartland Conference. The series lasted for 21 years until the last game in 1992 when Butler moved to Division I FCS (formerly NCAA I-AA) the following season.
- This is the year the rivalry began. The Edmund Orgill Trophy was first competed for in 1954.
- Although King's had played Wilkes nine times before the establishment of the trophy, the first game for the Wilkes-Barre Mayor's Cup was in 1996, per King's College's preview of the 2009 game.
- NCAA's 2013 FBS Record Book (English), NCAA, retrieved July 8, 2014
- NCAA's 2013 FCS Record Book (English), NCAA, retrieved July 8, 2014
- NCAA's 2013 Division II Record Book (English), NCAA, retrieved July 14, 2014
- NCAA's 2014 Division III Record Book (English), NCAA, retrieved October 7, 2014
- Oklahoma v. Oklahoma State Series (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved July 9, 2014
- Tramel, Berry (September 25, 2013). "Notre Dame Stadium an American treasure". Daily Oklahoman. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Olson, Kevin (December 2, 2014). "1910: The lost year of the Sunflower Showdown". The Manhattan Mercury. Retrieved 2014-12-05.
- DePauw v. Wabash Series (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved October 8, 2014
- Kansas State v. Iowa State Series (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved July 8, 2014
- Iowa v. Minnesota Series (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved July 8, 2014
- Virginia v. North Carolina Series (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved July 8, 2014
- Nebraska Records by Team (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved July 10, 2014
- Presbyterian v. Newberry Series (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved July 14, 2014
- Presbyterian College series (English), Presbyterian College, retrieved July 14, 2014
- Weinberg, Steve (August 26, 2011). "Are college football rivalries getting out of hand?". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-09-05.