Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology
|Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology.|
मौलाना आजाद राष्ट्रीय प्रोद्योगिकी संसथान भोपाल
|Motto||विद्या परम भूषणं|
|Motto in English||Knowledge is greatest jewel.|
|Type||Public-An Institute Of National Importance.|
|Endowment||Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India.|
|Director||Dr. Appu Kuttan K. K.|
|Location||Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Campus||Urban, spread over 650 acres (2.63 km2) in South east Bhopal|
|Former names||Maulana Azad College Of Technology-Regional Engineering College.|
Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology (MANIT), also known as National Institute of Technology, Bhopal (NIT Bhopal), formerly Maulana Azad College of Technology (MACT), is an Institute of National Importance under the NIT Act situated in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India. It is part of the group of publicly funded institutions in India known as National Institute of Technology.
MANIT was started in 1960 as Maulana College of Technology, named after the first Minister of Education, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.MACT started functioning in 1960 at Govt S.V. Polytechnic with an intake of 120 students and seven faculty members. It was one of the first eight Regional Engineering Colleges. It was set up with seven faculty members and an initial intake of 120 students and acted at first from the campus of Swami Vivekanand Polytechnic. Swami Vivekanand Polytechnic's principal, S. R. Beedkar, was the first head of the institute, under the title "planning officer". The first principal, J. N. Mougdill, joined in 1962. At the same year the institute shifted to its current campus, which was inaugurated by the then Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru.
The management team includes:
Dr. Appu Kuttan K.K. Director MANIT
Dr. Alka Bharat -Dean Faculty Welfare
Dr. Ganga Agnihotri -Dean Academic
Dr. Geeta Agnihotri -Dean Research & Consultancy
Dr. R. M. Sarvaiya -Dean Student Welfare
Dr.P.K. Jain -Dean P & D
Dr. Appu Kuttan K.K.
The institute is situated in the heart of Bhopal on a beautiful plateau with a verdant 650-acre campus. It has 9 hostels and (the new ones are being under-construction) they have excellent fooding and lodging facilities along with 24 hours security. MANIT's Computer Center, Canteen, Workshops, Athletic Ground, Sports Complex, Gym, Energy Center and the open air auditorium are the places where students enjoy healthy and competitive environment. They not only attain maturity and confidence but also shape themselves for the future needs of the world. The campus houses about 4,000 students and faculty members.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2011)|
All course-works and examinations for all majors and subjects are conducted with English language as the only mode of instruction. Undergraduates courses are given in all engineering fields. Post graduate courses include Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Computer Applications (MCA), Master of Technology (M.Tech) and Ph.D in relevant fields, as well as other Master degrees. Admission to B.Tech. programmes is made through All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) to M.Tech. programmes is made through Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
For the undergraduate courses the admission is through the national level engineering entrance examination - AIEEE (since 2002). Prior to AIEEE, the admission was though state level PET (Pre-Engineering Test)
The departments of MANIT are:
- Architecture and Planning
- Applied Mechanics
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Applications
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
- Material Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Management Studies
- Physical Education & Sports Science
- Energy Science & Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering(proposed)
Student life revolves around the college campus and hostels. For boys there are seven separate hostels, while girls reside in a single hostel. More information at www.nitb.in/hostel
There are student organizations for different interests.
NITB web club (commonly known as Club NITB) - The online community which keeps track of all the ongoing activities of college and further works on web and software development. It also responsible for maintaining all college's website like http://www.manit.ac.in, http://www.nitb.in, http://www.technosearch.org, http://www.maffick.org. It also provides students with short email id as @nitb.in
Go Green Forum - The environment protection society of the college which creates awareness and take various initiative in improving college environment through means of green ideas. It maintains its blog at http://gogreen.nitb.in
Rotaract Club of MANIT- Society for social service and humanitarian causes. It is affiliated to Rotary International and has been working for number of causes in and out of the institute.
Pixel - Photography club - http://pixel.nitb.in,
ISTE MANIT Chapter - http://iste.nitb.in,
IEEE MANIT Chapter - http://ieeemanit.org,
Vision - http://vision.nitb.in,
Roobaroo - Cultural Society,
Quizzer Club- First quizzing society among all NIT's, and many more.
MANIT also hosts major national-level festivals and meets, including:
- Technosearch - annual national level technical festival
- Maffick - annual cultural festival
- CHEMICARNIVAL - annual chemical engineering festival
- CHIMERA - annual national level, inter-college quiz competition
- InterNIT Robotics Championship- annual festival for displaying robots made by the students, PAN NIT
- SportsMania - annual sports meet
- Samadhan - annual national level programming test
- TATVABODH - annual Materials science & Metallurgical Engineering festival.
- Vyakhyan - Annual Guest Lecture series by Alumni of the institution
Student Halls of Residence
Ashiyana ! words to define Stay in NIT campus. These bhawans are the glory this institute has had and of the renaissance it has witnessed. homes away from home are as simple as they can be, decorated with students activity of gathering. More importantly, though have spawned the cultures that make the campus an unforgettable experience. It's here that night outs, corridor cricket, basketball, tennis finding an expression. Each hostel has a state of Internet facility, meaning that the Internet permeates the space students live in. One cannot imagine hostel life without late night snacks at the Night canteens so almost all the hostels are equipped with late night canteens some working till 4am in the morning. All this, in aesthetic environs, the likes of which very few places in the world can boast.
Boys Bhawans Of Residence:
1.Homi Jahangir Bhabha Bhawan (hostel no.1 300 capacity),3 seater rooms-first year hostel.
2.Vikram Sarabhai Bhawan (hostel no.2 300 capacity),3 seater rooms-first year hostel.
3.Achyut P. Kanvinde Bhawan (hostel no.3 300 capacity),2 seater rooms-second and third year.
4.Chandra Shekhar Venkat Raman Bhawan(hostel no.4 300 capicity),2 seater rooms-second year.
5.Mokshgundam Visvesvarayya Bhawan (hostel no.5 300 capacity),1 seater rooms-third and fourth year.
6.Jagdish Chandra Bose Bhawan (hostel no.6 300 capacity),1 seater rooms-third and fourth year.
7.Ramanujan Bhawan-3 blocks of capacity 512 each all-total capacity 1536 in a budget of 120 crore Indian rupee.(completion date-January 2015)
Girls Bhawans Of Residence:
8.Kalpana Chawla Bhawan (hostel no.7)
9.New girls hostel also integrated in kalpana chawla bhawan.
10.Raja Raman Bhawan
Post graduate hostels are under construction
Note:apart from the going on construction plans for 2-3 new hostels are in the pipeline and are depicted in the institutes master plan.
A year-wise hostel system, has given way to students of all years and branches of study in perfect harmony. So much for thought and sentiments.
NIT Bhopal is proud of its 40,000 strong alumni who have contributed substantially for the growth of the Nation. https://manit.almaconnect.com/
- Mr. Kamal K. Singh, 1970, Electrical, Chairman & managing director, Rolta India Limited.
- Krishnamoorthy D, Electronics, 1985 , General Manager, The Hindu.
- Mr. John K. John, CMD, Johnson Lifts.
- Mr. Naresh Vyas, Executive director-design, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited S.C.
- Suresh Pachouri, Politician.
- Ajit Jogi, first Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
- Dr Rajesh kumar gupta, Project Director Of Agni 5 |
- Mr.Ashok Kumar Tyagi (1977 Civil) , CMD, MECON ltd.
- Mr. Manoj Singh, Writer.
- "History of MANIT". manit.ac.in.
- The wording on inauguration stone inside the current campus say that the campus was inaugurated by Nehru 1962.
- "Administration :MANIT". MANIT. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- "AIEEE 2012 Brochure". CBSE, India. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "Departments". manit.ac.in. 2011 [last update]. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Chhatisgarh contenders". sify.com. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- About | MANIT Alumni Co-ordination Cell. Manit.ac.in (2012-04-19). Retrieved on 2013-10-09.