Ahmedabad Junction railway station
|Ahmedabad Railway Station
Indian Railway Station
|Address||Kalupur, Ahmedabad (Central Zone), Gujarat
|Elevation||52.50 metres (172.2 ft)|
|Line(s)||Ahmedabad-Mumbai main line
Ahmedabad-Botad meter gauge line
Ahmedabad-Mehsana meter gauge
Ahmedabad-Gandhidham main line
Ahmedabad-Udaipur meter gauge line
|Connections||BRTS bus stop 'Kalupur Railway Station', AMTS bus stop 'Kalupur Terminus', Taxicab stand, Auto rickshaw stand|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Owned by||Indian Railway|
Ahmedabad Railway Station is the main railway station of Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. It is also the biggest & busiest railway station within Gujarat. It is second highest income generating division in Western Railways besides Mumbai Division.
Before the partition of India, the Sind Mail used to travel to Hyderabad, Sindh via the Hyderabad - Mirpur Khas - Khokhrapar - Munabao - Barmer - Luni - Jodhpur - Pali - Marwar - Palanpur - Ahmedabad route.
On the north side, as the train enters the station, are the two tallest minarets in Ahmedabad. All traces of their mosque and the memory of its name and date are gone. The style and material of the minarets point to the close of Mahmud Begada's reign (1511), or perhaps rather later. Though much damaged, especially near the foot, the stairs inside the minarets may still be used.
The main railway station of Ahmedabad, also referred to as the Ahmedabad Junction Railway Station or Kalupur Railway Station, is the primary station of rail transport for the city of Ahmedabad in the state of Gujarat, India and an important center of the Western Railways zone of the Indian Railways. Locally people refer to it as Kalupur Station (as it is situated in Kalupur area of the walled city) to distinguish it from other stations in the city like Gandhigram, Asarva, Sarkhej, Vastrapur, Chandlodia, Vatva, Maninagar and Sabarmati Junction. It serves trains that connect Ahmedabad to different parts of Gujarat, as well as major Indian cities such as Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Trivandrum, Ajmer, Dhanbad, Daltonganj, Jaipur and Indore.
The station has twelve platforms. There are an ample numbers of tea stalls, snack bars, medical shops and enquiry desks. The station also has one cybercafe which is run by Tata Indicom. The government is also considering making the station WiFi enabled. The station is undergoing large-scale automation to make it a technologically advanced station, and new ATM outlets from ICICI Bank, Canara Bank, Union Bank of India, Dena Bank, Bank of Baroda, State Bank of India & other major banks has been installed. RailTel plans to open Cyber Cafe in Ahmedabad Station.
Ahmedabad Railway station has launched hand push luggage trolley service at Ahmedabad railway station. Such trolleys are always available at airports, but for railway station, it is a new initiative. The railway will initially charge Rs 5 per luggage trolley from commuters. As of now, the service is available only for platform no.1, but after new elevators and escalators become functional by the end of this year, the trolley service will be introduced at all platform of Ahmedabad railway station.
According to divisional railway manager of Ahmedabad Shri Ashok Garud, the initiative has been taken following a guideline from the Western railway headquarter. The facility would be launched in Rajkot, Surat and Vadodara railway stations too in future.
The station also has wifi facility.
Trains For Mumbai
Trains For Kanpur
- Gorakhpur Express
- Sabarmati Express
- Azimabad Express
- Guwahati Express
- Adi Gorakhpur Express via Ajmer/Jaipur
- Kamakhya Express
- Okha Bsb Express
- Bhavnagar (T) Asansol Express
- Lucknow Special
- Gimb Howra Express
- Varanasi - Ahmedabad Exp.(via DLI, LKO & AJMER)
- Sultanpur - Ahmedabad Exp.(via DLI, LKO & AJMER)
- Ahmedabad Lucknow Express(Weekly)
- Garbha Express
Trains for Delhi
- Swarna Jayanti Rajdhani Express
- Ashram Express
- Haridwar Mail
- Gujarat Sampark Kranti Express
- Delhi Sarai Rohilla Bandra Terminus Garib Rath Express
Trains for Howrah
- Howrah Ahmedabad Superfast Express
- Ahmedabad Kolkata Express
- Porbandar Howrah Express
Trains For Pune
- Jodhpur Pune Express (Weekly)
- New Bhuj Pune Express (Weekly)
- Veraval Pune Express (Weekly)
- Rajkot Secunderabad Express (triweekly)
- 11095/96 Ahimsa Express (Thursday)
- 12297/98 Pune Ahmedabad Duronto Express (Tu, Fr, Su)
- 14805/06 Barmer Yeshvantapur AC Express (Saturday)
Trains For Indore
- 19309/19310 Gandhinagar - Indore Shanti Express (Daily)
Trains for Visakhapatnam
Metre Gauge Trains Originating
- Ahmedabad-Mehsana Fast Passenger.(4 times a day)
- Ahmedabad-Mehsana Express.
- Mehsana Vijapur passenger
- Ahmedabad-Ranuj Passenger.
- Ahmedabad-Mehsana Intercity Express.
- Ahmedabad-Udaipur Express.
- Ahmedabad-Udaipur Mewar Fast Passenger.
- Ahmedabad-Khedbrahma Passenger.(2 times a day)
- Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar Passenger.(2 times a day)
- Ahmedabad-Nandol Dehgam Express.(2 times a day)
- Ahmedabad-Ranuj Fast Passenger.
- Gandhigram-Botad Passenger.(5 times a day)(First train starts from Ahmedabad Junction and travels as Empty Special till Gandhigram and then officially as Gandhigram-Botad Passenger. The last service from Botad to Gandhigram runs till Ahmedabad Junction as Empty Special.)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ahmedabad Junction railway station.|
- A handbook for travellers in India and Pakistan, Burma and Ceylon: including the Portuguese and French possessions and the Indian States
- Young India Vol.11 Mahatma Gandhi
- "[IRFCA] Indian Railways FAQ: Geography : International". irfca.org. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Gazetteer of the Bombay Presidency: Ahmedabad. Government Central Press. 1879. p. 267.
- Luggage trolley,golf car services launched at Ahmedabad railway station