|Headquarters||North Hollywood, California|
George Schaeffer, CEO/PresidentSuzi Weiss-Fischmann, Executive VP/Artistic Director
|Products||Professional Nail Care|
OPI, originally named Odontorium Products Inc., was a small dental supply company purchased by George Schaeffer in 1981. Shortly after taking over the company, Schaeffer was joined by Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI’s Executive Vice President and Artistic Director. Schaeffer and Weiss-Fischmann partnered with R. Eric Montgomery, a biochemist, and created an acrylic system that Schaeffer sold door-to-door to local nail salons. They closed the dental sales and focused entirely on nail products changing the name to OPI Products Inc.
In 1989, OPI expanded its portfolio to nail lacquers and later other products. In 2003, OPI created a Legally Blonde 2 collection that was also featured in the film. Collaborations that have followed include Ford Mustang, the 2010 film Alice in Wonderland, and Dell (2009).
In 2003, OPI launched a nail polish line for dogs called Pawlish that received mixed reviews.
In 2007, after pressure from the EPA and the organization Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, OPI reformulated its nail lacquers and eliminated chemicals DBP (dibutyl phthalate), formaldehyde and toluene.
Schaeffer established the Schaeffer Family Foundation to offer aid to organizations such as the Leukemia Research Foundation, Rock the Vote and Project Hope International, among many others. After such disasters as 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, OPI employees banded together and raised $350,000 for the American Red Cross. OPI created exclusive lacquers shades for the Lung Cancer Foundation of America, the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross. Since 2006, OPI has supported the breast cancer awareness organization Susan G. Komen for the Cure, with its exclusive shade series, Pink of Hearts.
OPI has teamed up with various celebrities in order to strategically sell their products to a specific niche. The collections are cleverly named after the artist and expresses their work and personality. Justin Bieber, a famous Canadian singer, was one of the first to release a celebrity nail polish collection for OPI. In 2010, his "One Less Lonely Girl" collection was under their drugstore brand, Nicole by OPI, and was sold exclusively in Wal-mart stores. The Justin Bieber collection sold out in 3,000 Wal-mart stores in January 2011 and also released in other stores like Target, Sears, and Ulta.
Katy Perry, a pop-star sensation, had created her own collection by OPI, which was released in January 2011. They featured 5 shades in this collection, all named after Katy's hit singles like "Teenage Dream" and "Last Friday Night". They even featured a new nail polish called "Shatter", which was a new nail polish to create a crackle/shatter look when painted on top of the nail polish. The "shatter" became very popular. Later in the year, other nail polish brands like Sally Hansen and China Glaze had released their own "crackle" for their local drugstore consumers to purchase. According to MTV Style, the Katy Perry collection was one of the Best Celebrity Endorsed Products of 2011. 
Also in January 2011, Serena Williams, a tennis star, released her own collection called "Glam Slam". The collection release dates were timed to the start of her four major tennis tournaments - Australia Open in January, French Open in May, Wimbledon in June, and U.S. Open in August. The "Glam Slam" collection even featured the popular "crackle" polish, which was also in the Katy Perry collection.
In October 2012, it was announced that popular singer and actress Selena Gomez had collaborated with Nicole by O.P.I to launch a new collection. Consisting of 14 different colours and sparkles, Gomez created shades that would be easy to mix and match particularly for the upcoming spring season. Gomez stated that the colours were selected to suit her classic, simple and elegant style. Each colour was titled something that related to the star’s hit songs, like “Hit the Lights” and “Love Song” and ranged from a bright yellow to a deep, rich plum purple. The collection was available for sale in January 2013.
In Spring 2013, they had partnered up with singer, Mariah Carey. With glittery and shiny shades in the collection, OPI had released a new nail technology, the "Liquid Sand" formula. The "Liquid Sand" formula is a jelly-based glitter that dries matte. The "Liquid Sand" formula is the first of its kind and was featured in the "007 The Bond Girls" collection by OPI, which was released later in the year.
An upcoming celebrity that OPI had partnered up with is singer, Carrie Underwood, making a collection with the Nicole by OPI brand. This collection will be launched in January 2014, with 14 different shades, and will be available at Wal-Mart, Ulta, CVS, Target, and Rite aid, along with other retailers.
OPI had partnered up with The Muppets and released a nail polish collection for their new movie in November of 2011.
Based on the hit ABC Family television show, Modern Family, Nicole by OPI and Twentieth Century Fox had partnered up and released their own collection for Nicole by OPI in late December 2011. The nail polish shades in the collection features many colours and also incorporates the characters' name in every colour.
The reality television series, Keeping Up with the Kardashians on E!, launched their first nail polish collection by Nicole by OPI for the holiday 2011 collection. All the Kardashians, Kim, Kourtney and Khloe were involved and even the Jenners, Kris, Kendall and Kylie, to design and create the "Kardashian Kolors" collection. The Kardashian Kolors were sold in Target, CVS, Wal-Mart, and many other drugstores. The "Kardashian Kolors" made a collection for spring 2012 and later in the year another collection for holiday 2012.
- Lu-Lien Tan, Cheryl (2003-07-06). "Clothes Encounters; As the fashion world grows more aggressive about marketing clothes in movies, some wonder if hot films are beginning to resemble stylish ads". The Baltimore Sun. p. 1.N.
- Fierro, Dina (2009-12-24). "OPI goes through the looking glass". The Gloss. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Industry Leaders Dell and OPI Partner to Deliver a New, Polished Laptop Collection". Reuters. 2009-10-07. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Donaldson-Evans, Catherine (2003-09-23). "Pups Panting for "Pawlished" Nails". Fox News. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- / statement
- Saint Louis, Catherine (2010-04-19). "Yes, This Manicure Is 12 Days Old". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- joint statement Recently OPI have produced Collaborations with celebrities such as Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry.
- Salapatek, Lauren (2010-09-10). "Pink of Hearts for Charity". Modern Salon. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- Grundy, Kim (2011-07-01) http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/822080/justin-bieber-nail-polish-line-selling-out. Retrieved 2013-08-13
- Mahlmeister, Chrissy (2011-19-12) http://style.mtv.com/2011/12/19/celebrity-products-2011/. Retrieved 2013-8-13
- Nolan, Lizanne (2011-21-01) http://voices.yahoo.com/are-belieber-opis-must-see-celebrity-collections-7670228.html. Retrieved 2013-13-08
- Mismas, Michelle (2013-04-03) http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2013/03/mariah-carey-opi-spring-2013-nail-polish-collection-swatches-review.html#.Ugpw6G3hfUI. Retrieved 2013-13-08
- Brown, Rachael (2013-13-08) http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/color-me-carrie-7086154. Retrieved 2013-14-08
- Kelly (2013-15-01) http://www.vampyvarnish.com/2013/01/nicole-opi-modern-family-collection-swatches-review. Retrieved 2013-08-13